The Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Division at The University of Michigan Health System is widely recognized for the excellence of its clinical care and for its educational and research programs pertaining to lung health and disease.
Our fellowship program is designed to develop academicians, consultant-caliber clinicians, and leaders for the pharmaceutical and health care industries.
We currently offer two different fellowships.
We offer training in our 3-year Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship training.
The notable strengths of the fellowship program include:
- an unusual balance of excellence in both clinical and research training
- 42 dynamic faculty members whose expertise spans a wide range of clinical and research arenas; many are national leaders in their fields, and many have demonstrated track records mentoring fellows
- two hospitals (University and VA) that provide complementary patient populations
- opportunities for research training in fields including cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, clinical physiology, clinical trials, epidemiology, health services and outcomes research, and medical education
- superb physical facilities and intellectual environment across the Medical Center and the University
We offer training in our 2-year Critical Care Medicine Fellowship training.
- designed for Emergency Medicine graduates based on our collaboration with the Department of Emergency Medicine, the Michigan Center for Integrative Research in Critical Care (MCIRCC), the medical school, and a UMHS directive to expand care of the critically ill.
- Dr. Kyle Gunnerson, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, will serve as the Associate Program Director for the IM-CCM trainees under the oversight of Dr. Kevin Chan, PCCM Fellowship Director.
- The IM-CCM program is a two-year fellowship that involves rotations in the Critical Care Medical Unit, the Neurological Critical Care Unit, the Critical Care Unit, the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit, the Emergency Department Intensive Care Unit, the Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Palliative Care, Nutrition and several electives. The IM-CCM fellow will be rotating in the Critical Care Medical Unit three months each year.
More information on the Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine Fellowship can be found at the Emergency Medicine Fellowship Program Website located here -
Kevin Chan , M.D., Program Director
Patty Urban, Program Coordinator
1500 E. Medical Center Dr., 3920 Taubman Center
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5360
Phone: (734) 763-9077
Fax: (734) 936-5048