U-M Medical School uses VSAS, the AAMC’s Visiting Student Application Service, to receive and process visiting student applications. If you are a student attending a U.S. LCME accredited or a participating COCA accredited AACOA member school*, please visit the AAMC website for complete application instructions.
Please direct all VSAS questions to:
Visiting Students Coordinator
About the Program
U-M Medical School offers a limited number of clinical electives to students who are in their final year of medical school at an accredited school in the U.S.
Student may complete a maximum of 2 electives (2 months) according to our clinical calendar. No electives are offered to visiting students during May and June and research electives are not allowed. Only the electives listed in our visiting students catalog and in VSAS are available, and not all electives are available to osteopathic medical students. Please see the catalog and VSAS for more details.
We will accept visiting student applications beginning April 7, 2014, and begin to process visiting student applications on April 28, 2014. The last date to apply for an elective is December 1, 2014.
Students attending international medical schools are generally not accepted for electives at U-M Medical School. For a determination of possible eligibility for a 1-month rotation, international students should contact Carrie Ashton at firstname.lastname@example.org at the School’s Global REACH office. International students whose applications have not been screened for eligibility by the Global REACH office will not be accepted.
Under no circumstances shall an interested student from another school make independent arrangements with a faculty member for an elective prior to submitting an application to the Office of Medical Student Education or Global REACH for processing. All inquiries regarding elective opportunities must be initiated with Elvira Skuzinski (VSAS students) or Carrie Ashton (international students).
To be considered for a clinical elective:
- Students must be in their final year and in good academic and professional standing at their home school.
- Students must have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 exam.
- Students must have taken and passed (by the date of their requested elective) required M3 rotations in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics and Surgery.
- Students must have completed 48 weeks of required rotations in the same medical school at which they completed their basic science (M1 and M2) training.
- Students must meet requirements and prerequisites of requested elective(s).
In assigning students to available electives, the following priority is followed:
- University of Michigan medical students
- Medical students from Wayne State University and Michigan State University School of Human Medicine
- Students from U.S. LCME accredited medical schools
- Students from one of the 5 Osteopathic schools listed below:*
- A.T. Still - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
- Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Students from international medical schools screened and deemed eligible by Global REACH
* The UMMS will only accept applications from students attending these 5 Osteopathic schools