All applicants must apply to PIBS through the Rackham Graduate School. You need only submit one application to be considered for any of the 14 participating Ph.D. programs. The application deadline for 2016 admission is December 1, 2015 (11:59 p.m. EST). Apply now →
U.S. CITIZEN AND PERMANENT RESIDENT applicants must:
- Select two Ph.D. program/department choices, in rank order. Please select your primary program on the 'Program Selection' page of the application. You will have an opportunity to select your second program choice on the 'Program-Specific Information' page. These choices are not binding and will only be used for assignment of your application for review.
- Provide a Statement of Purpose that describes your research background, your career goals, and how Michigan's graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives. A detailed description of your research experience is strongly recommended. Please limit your Statement of Purpose to two pages.
- Submit a Personal Statement that describes how your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan. Describe any major obstacles that you had to overcome to achieve your goals. Please limit your Personal Statement to 500 words.
- Solicit three letters of recommendation from research mentors or professors who can evaluate your academic and scientific potential. These letters must be sent electronically. As you complete the Rackham Graduate School application, you will have the opportunity to electronically send invitations to professors/mentors to submit letters of recommendation.
- Provide GRE scores. Subject GRE scores are not required. [Institution Code 1839. Department code is not needed.]
- Upload an electronic transcript (can be unoffical scanned version) directly into the online application by the December 1 deadline. You only need to upload transcripts from post-secondary institutions that will result in a degree. Then, as soon as possible, submit an official transcript to Rackham Admissions (not to PIBS). Please refer to Rackham’s instructions on uploading and mailing transcripts.
NOTE: PIBS does not accept hard copies of any application materials. All materials must be submitted electronically.
Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency and may need to take an exam such as the TOEFL. Rackham Graduate School offers a full explanation of this requirement.
$75 per application. Some applicants may be eligible for a waiver. Please visit the Rackham Graduate School website for more information on fee waivers and grants.
Need additional information?
Check out application tips and answers to common questions in our FAQ section.
Get more application information directly from Rackham Graduate School.
For any remaining questions, please call 734-647-7005 or email PIBS.