Fill Out Our Customer Survey & You Could Win!
To better meet the needs of our customers, the Transgenic Animal Model Core is conducting a survey to allow users an opportunity to provide feedback.
The time you spend completing this survey will help us bring you the services you and your lab need for future success. To thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us, we will be giving away $25 Target gift cards, laptop cases and other prizes. To enter the prize drawing, please include your name and email in the survey.
Thank you for taking time from your busy day to provide us with valuable feedback.
About the Transgenic Animal Model Core
The University of Michigan Transgenic Animal Model Core was established in 1989 in response to the need for transgenic technology by University investigators. A member of the Biomedical Research Core Facilities in the Office of Research, the mission of the Transgenic Core is to provide access to transgenic animal technology in an efficient, effective manner. This includes:
- production of transgenic mice,
- production of transgenic rats and gene knockout and knockin rats, with zinc finger nuclease, TALENs, and Cas9/CRISPR,
- production of gene-targeted mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells for mouse knockout models and in vitro studies,
- production of ES cell-mouse chimeras for mouse knockout models,
- assisted reproduction technology for mice and rats,
- de novo derivation of mouse ES cells from custom mice, and
- hands-on training in mouse ES cell manipulation, pronuclear microinjection, and blastocyst injection.
Researchers can use Transgenic Core laboratory space and resources side by side with staff members. Consultation in all phases of transgenic and gene targeting research from experimental design to mouse breeding is freely available.
The Transgenic Animal Model Core guarantees that at least three transgenic founder mice will be produced for each DNA construct. The overall average is ten founders. Since 1989 over 14,000 mouse transgenic founders were produced from more than 1,400 plasmid and BAC transgenes. Nearly 1,000 transgenic rat founders have been produced, including BAC transgenic rat strains. Over 200 new mutant mouse models were produced by the electroporation of mouse ES cells with targeting vectors and another 60-odd strains were produced from ES cell clones obtained from the international mouse knock out project (KOMP). Some of these mouse and rat models have been published.
To learn more, download the Transgenic Animal Model Flyer.
Thom Saunders, Ph.D.
Director, Transgenic Animal Model Core