"I wish we had an Honest Broker Office like this back in Seattle. This is a real bonus that's come with my move to UM."
- Int Med- Hem/Onc Clinical Researcher,
Multi-site collaboration for biospecimens
and clinical data
The Honest Broker Office (HBO) is a UM Strategic Research Initiative created to improve access to patient data for research purposes. To assure efficient service delivery, this office is structured like other biomedical research cores with a fee for service model. (HBO quarterly metrics) A cost estimate will be generated following review of the HBO data set request for approval by the proposing investigator. Contact us if you need an estimate for grant proposals (HBO grant template).
Address 2800 Plymouth Road, North Campus Research Complex, Bldg 520, 3rd Floor
EMERSE: text document search tool of identified data
I2b2: de-identified data search to generate “aggregate counts”. I2b2 identified data queries is currently being tested. Stay tuned.
Clinical Data Set Request
Before you begin you'll need the following mandatory items to complete your request:
- IRB Approval and HUM Number, if applicable
- PI Uniqname and Study Team Members
- Completed Data Elements Selection Worksheet
There are three steps to requesting data from the HBO:
- Download and complete a Data Elements Selection Worksheet (details here)
- Complete and submit a Data Request
- Use the “Add Attachment” button to upload your Data Elements Selection Worksheet (remember to complete both pages of the worksheet)
- Consulting hours by appointment only: call or email to schedule
- ICD-9 and CPT Code Look Up (Link)
- De-identified data definition (Link)
- EMERSE training modules (Link)
- To request data for Quality Improvement Projects, please contact PACE (Performance Assessment & Clinical Effectiveness) team for data; OCA-PACE-Requests@med.umich.edu, phone 615-0294.