Email Alert Groups
We recommend that those seeking opportunities for funding add themselves to two lists in particular: ORSP-Announce and NIH-GROUP. Click here for more information and instructions on how to join these groups.
UMMS Office of Research Bridging Support
- BMRC Bridging Support Program for Biomedical Research – Bridging for previously funded grants between A0 and A1 submissions. These would be for (1) competitive renewals or (2) new grants that are a continuation of previously funded research. Also eligible are new R01s from a component of a previously funded P/Center grants that have now failed. These options all must demonstrate PI effort to address reviewers’ critiques. PI must show financial need and requests will be evaluated by BMRC.
External Limited Submissions
Opportunities for external funding where the sponsors limit the number of submissions allowed from the University. An internal selection process is required to determine which proposals will go forward.
UPDATE: The new web-based UMMS Competition Space is the source for these internal competition announcements, foundation guidelines and the application submission process. On the UMMS Competition Space site, the PI will apply for the internal competition with their uniqname and level 1 (Kerberos) password. Note: Competition Space runs on IE 9+, Chrome, Firefox 3+, and Safari for Macintosh.
Following are limited submission competitions currently being conducted by the Medical School Office of Research.
Burroughs Wellcome Fund Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease Award
Internal Deadline: September 3, 2014
These limited submissions opportunities along with others are listed on the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) website as well. The ORSP website also contains an archive of past limited submissions competitions.
Internal Funding Opportunities
The following programs and departments offer occasional funding opportunities for internal U-M researchers. For more information about these programs, including updates about currently available funding, please visit the individual department's website by clicking on the links below.
- A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute
- Cardiovascular Center
- Center for Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics (CCMB)
- Center for the Discovery of New Medicines (CDNM)
- Center for Genetics in Health Medicine (Postdoctoral Fellowships)
- Center for Molecular and Clinical Epidemiology (Postdoctoral Fellowships)
- Center for Organogenesis
- Center for Stem Cell Biology
- Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Depression Center
- Extended Research Bridging Support Program by the Endowment for Basic Sciences (EBS)
- Geriatrics Center
- Global REACH
- Joint Institute for Translational and Clinical Research
A partnership between the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) & Peking University Health Science Center.
- Metabolomics Core, Biomedical Research Core Facilities (BRCF)
Funded by the Michigan Regional Comprehensive Metabolomics Resource Core (MRC)2.
- MI Alzheimer's Disease Research Center
- MI Diabetes Research & Training Center
- MI Gastrointestinal Peptide Research Center
- MI George M. O'Brien Kidney Research Center
- Michigan Comprehensive Diabetes Center
- Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR) Pilot Grant Program
- Michigan Metabolomics and Obesity Center (MMOC)
Funded by the Michigan Nutrition Obesity Research Center (MNORC).
- Nathan Shock Center of Excellence in the Basic Biology of Aging
- SPORE in Head and Neck Cancer
- SPORE in Prostate Cancer - pilot projects
- Rackham Faculty Funding
- Rackham Fellowships
- Rheumatic Disease Core Center
Jan Stevens, 936-9539 or (email@example.com)
- U-M Office of Research (UMOR)
- U-M MTRAC for Life Sciences
External Funding Opportunities (search databases)
- Federal Grants (Grants.gov)
Search this database for federal grants from 26 different federal grant-making agencies.
- Foundation Directory Online (through Foundation Center)
NOTE: U-M access through U-M Library Search Tools (authentication required)
This database contains information on all foundations within the U.S. Click on the "Search Grantmakers" tab.
- Health Sciences Grants Information Portal (HS-GIP)
This guide aims to assist you in the U-M research experience by pointing you to relevant grant related resources as well as associated instructional opportunities, tutorials, and resources related to funding alerts.
- MLibrary Research Guides - Grants and Fundraising
This webpage on the MLibrary website offers explanations about various databases as well as tutorials.
- NSF Funding Opportunities
- Pivot (formerly Community of Science) - also see Tips from ORSP
This database contains information on grantmaking organizations worldwide.
- ScanGrants – A public service listing of grants and other funding types to support health research, programs and scholarship.
- SPIN (Sponsored Program Information Network) - also see Tips from ORSP
- U of M Foundation Relations - Foundation Funding for Faculty
(Kerberos password login required)
This website contains information on finding funding through foundations.