The Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship consists of one year of advanced clinical training in all aspects of Obstetric Anesthesia at the UMHS - Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital. The program is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art clinical training and expertise in labor analgesia, anesthesia for deliveries and management of high-risk patients, as well as extensive research opportunities. Our obstetric unit comprises a significant high-risk population of parturient women with obstetric disorders as well as cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological and endocrine disorders. Thank you for your interest in our training program. Please take a moment to review our curriculum, lectures and research.
We only accept applicants who have successfully graduated from a Medical School that is recognized by the Medical Board of California. If you have attended a foreign Medical School, please review the list to ensure that your school is recognized.
Applicants should apply through the SF Match and also submit the following application materials to the program director, Joanna Kountanis, M.D.
- SOAP Obstetric Anesthesiology Common Application
- SOAP Obstetric Anesthesiology Common Application Supplementary Questions
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation:
- One letter from the most recent clinical program director of current training program
- Two letters from clinical faculty in training program
- All letters must contain personal knowledge/experience of applicant, address applicant’s medical knowledge and attest to applicant’s clinical skills
- Copy of medical school transcript
- Copy of ABA in-training exam (ITE) scores
- Copy of USMLE transcripts
For more information regarding the application process, please contact our administrative assistant, Susan Sessions, listed below.
The University of Michigan offers highly competitive salaries and tremendous benefits to our residents/fellows. An overview of salary, benefits and employment eligibility is available on the GME Office website, under “Prospective Residents/Fellows”.