Applicants interested in our categorical positions apply through the Electronic Resident Application System (ERAS). Following review of their completed application, individuals are selected through the National Resident Match Program for an interview.
Match 2024 to conduct virtual interviews
The University of Michigan Anesthesiology Residency Program will again conduct all virtual interviews this year.
- Residency Open House: Did you miss our summer open house? View the recording on YouTube to learn more about our residency program, the application and selection process, and more — directly from faculty and residents.
Additional events will be offered throughout Match 2024 to candidates selected for interviews. Save the dates and stay tuned for more information this fall.
- Research Open House (VIRTUAL EVENT): Monday, November 27, 7 p.m.
- Wondering how Michigan Anesthesiology can help jump-start your career as an academic anesthesiologist? Learn more about our research areas of excellence, meet department researchers, and hear about the opportunities available to you as a resident.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Open House (VIRTUAL EVENT): Thursday, December 14, 7 p.m.
- Michigan Anesthesiology is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and anti-racist learning and working environment. Join department leaders and residents to learn how we're putting this commitment into practice within our department and working to develop a more diverse and inclusive pipeline for academic anesthesiology.
- Second Look (IN-PERSON EVENT): Saturday, February 10, & Saturday, February 24.
Interested in learning more about our facilities and the city of Ann Arbor? We are offering Second Look opportunities to all applicants this winter as we recognize in-person visits can be beneficial to applicants as they consider the institutions and cities in which they choose to continue their education and live.
More information about these events will be available soon. We will share a sign-up process in January, following the completion of all virtual interviews.
Please note: Attendance by applicants will not be considered in our ranking decision and we will have no knowledge of who has registered to attend prior to submission of our Rank Order List (ROL). Our program’s ROL will be finalized and certified prior to our Second Look events. To preserve the program-applicant relationship, we pledge to not alter our ROL once certified for the duration of this recruitment cycle, in every circumstance, without exception.
Our program believes in a holistic review of applicants for interview selection, with a special emphasis on demonstrated competencies in leadership, community service, academic success, research and potential to positively impact the field of anesthesiology in the future. We believe that a diverse cohort with varied and meaningful life experiences creates a strong and vibrant environment in which to learn, care for patients and innovate. Other information considered for interview selection includes the following:
- Accredited Medical School – Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) & American Osteopathic Association AOA) preferred
- Medical School Transcripts
- USMLE Part I (required) & II (if complete)
- 3 Letters of Reference
- Dean's Evaluation Letter - MSPE
- Personal Statement
- Previous residency experience, if applicable
Please note the University of Michigan will only sponsor J-1 Visa's. International medical graduates may be considered based upon the same USMLE criteria and academic criteria as US/Canadian medical students.