The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Michigan seeks to be the pre-eminent academic anesthesiology department in the world by making major advances in the field of anesthesiology, as well as medicine and science in general, and developing the next generation of outstanding researchers in the fields of anesthesiology and the associated basic sciences.
The U-M Medical School is consistently ranked among the top 10 medical schools in the country and the Department of Anesthesiology at U-M was ranked #8 of all U.S. anesthesiology departments in National Institutes of Health funding for 2015. Our department has traditionally had a strong basic science research program but in the past half-decade has also emerged as one of the leading clinical research departments in the country. The eminence and breadth of our research programs are demonstrated by the fact that in 2011, 2012, and 2013, a faculty member from Michigan anesthesiology has been awarded one of two top research awards conferred by the American Society of Anesthesiologists: Dr. George Mashour’s 2011 Presidential Scholar Award was for translational research, Dr. Ralph Lydic’s 2012 Excellence in Research Award was for basic science research, and Dr. Sachin Kheterpal’s 2013 Presidential Scholar Award was for clinical research.
Further recognition of our tremendous research momentum is the fact that Anesthesiology, the field’s flagship journal, focused its December 2013 issue on studies from the University of Michigan. Our international renown and highly developed research infrastructure make us uniquely poised to advance the field in remarkable ways. This potential was recognized in 2014 by a funded application for a National Institutes of Health T-32 Postdoctoral Training Grant, currently awarded to approximately a dozen academic anesthesiology departments in the country. Our faculty members play national and international roles in anesthesiology and associated disciplines, and our editors and associate editors from the University of Michigan Department of Anesthesiology can be found in a wide variety of journals.
- Department Chair: Kevin K. Tremper, Ph.D., M.D.
- Director of Clinical Research: Chad Brummett, M.D.
- Director of Translational Research: Dan Clauw, M.D.
- Director of Outcomes Research: Sachin Kheterpal, M.D., M.B.A.
- Associate Chair for Research: George A. Mashour, M.D., Ph.D.
Specialty Research Leaders
- Director of Obstetric Anesthesia Research: Melissa Bauer, D.O.
- Director of Pain Research: Chad Brummett, M.D.
- Director of Critical Care & Cardiovascular Research: Milo Engoren, M.D.
- Director of Pediatric Anesthesia Research: Shobha Malviya, M.D.
- Director of Clinical Neuroscience Research: George A. Mashour, M.D., Ph.D.