David L. Brown, M.D. serves as an Associate Professor in the Section of Plastic Surgery at the University Michigan School of Medicine. He is a diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery as well as a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Brown received his M.D. degree from Vanderbilt University. He underwent General Surgery Residency training at the University of Cincinnati Hospitals and completed his Plastic Surgery Fellowship training at the University of Michigan. He received additional fellowship training in Research at the Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children and in Research and Clinical Reconstructive Microsurgery at St. Vincent's Hospital and the University of Melbourne in Melbourne, Australia. He joined the faculty at the University of Michigan where he has been a full time academic surgeon since 2001. Dr. Brown is an active member of many national specialty societies including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Plastic Surgery Research Council, American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery, American Society for Peripheral Nerve, and the Michigan Association of Plastic Surgeons. He has served as the President of the Michigan Academy of Plastic Surgeons, Parliamentarian of the Plastic Surgery Research Council, and Secretary and Treasurer American Society of Peripheral Nerve. Dr. Brown has authored a well-respected book of Plastic Surgery, The Michigan Manual of Plastic Surgery, as well as over 50 scientific journal articles and 10 book chapters, and has presented his work nationally and overseas.
Dr. Brown specializes in reconstruction of the face following cancer removal, peripheral nerve surgery, aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery, lymphedema surgery, cosmetic surgery, reconstructive microneurovascular surgery, and the care of difficult wound problems. He has a particular interest in the education of plastic surgeons, and has received honors and awards for his teaching.
Medical School or Training
- 1985-1989 – Wittenberg University, Springfield, OH; B.A. in Chemistry (cum laude)
- 1989-1993 – Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN; M.D.
- 1993-1994 – General Surgical Internship, University of Cincinnati Hospitals, Cincinnati, OH
- 1994-1997 – General Surgical Residency, University of Cincinnati Hospitals, Cincinnati, OH
- 1997-2000 – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2000-2001 – Microvascular Surgery Fellowship, St. Vincent's Hospital and The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- American Board of Plastic Surgery Certification