Please also see our "Do's and Don'ts for Patients with Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections" PDF file as it applies to you.
After your operation, you will receive specific instructions regarding your care after leaving the hospital. Some key items to remember are as follows:
- The first 48 hours are usually the most difficult.
- It generally takes one to three months to fully recuperate.
- You will be unable to drive for approximately four weeks.
- You will have several new medicines to take.
- The best thing you can do to make yourself better is to do a little more each day to help regain strength and energy.
We will also ask you to become aware of how to help reduce the risk of developing any further heart problems. These things include:
- No smoking and little exposure to second hand smoke
- Control blood pressure
- Reduce fat and cholesterol in your diet
- Get regular exercise
- Control blood sugar/diabetes
- Decrease stress
- Control weight