Department of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics
Nationally respected for our interdisciplinary research and training programs, we strive to create novel informatics- and computationally-based methods, tools, and algorithms for basic biomedical, translational, and clinical research. Our 36 primary and joint faculty members carry out research in the following areas:
- Genomics, regulatory genomics and epigenomics
- Protein structure, proteomics, and alternative splicing
- Multi-“omics” integrative bioinformatics
- Systems biology and networks analysis
- Biomedical data science, translational bioinformatics, and pharmacogenomics
- Methodological development in Computational Biology
- Applications to complex genetic diseases (psychiatric disorders, cancer, etc.)
Our students build a solid foundation through course works in mathematical tools in biology, signal and image analysis, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, Proteomics, Machine Learning, and Clinical Informatics.
With three NIH Training Grants, we offer three degree programs (Ph.D., Master’s and Accelerated Master’s) fit various career goals of our students. Students can work with research mentors all over the University of Michigan campuses, benefiting from the collaborative culture and the vast variety of ongoing research. Our current students (~50 in the Ph.D. program and ~20 in Master’s programs) work in the labs in the Medical School, School of Public Health, College of Engineering, and the College of Literature, Science and the Arts.
Why Michigan DCMB?
- Excellent faculty
- Research award winners and major federal grants recipients
- Effective mentors
- Cutting edge research
- Interdisciplinary research
- Collaborative culture for innovation and research impact
- Multiple training programs that match the goals of each student
- Comprehensive course offerings and research opportunities for students
- Part of University of Michigan, one of the best research universities in the world, in the vibrant, diverse and culturally rich town of Ann Arbor