Maureen Thompson has a BSN from the University of Michigan School of Nursing and a MSN from Wayne State University. Maureen is the Director of Clinical Operations within the UMHS Office of Clinical Affairs and oversees the department directors of accreditation and infection prevention and epidemiology, as well as workflows related to patient education and health literacy, resuscitation care, and quality and safety work with House Officers. Maureen leads or works closely with a number of UMHS committees to improve patient care quality and safety including the CAUTI Prevention Committee, Falls Prevention Committee, CPR Committee, Patient Education and Health Literacy Committee and the House Officer Quality and Safety Council within the UMHS learning environment. Prior to this Maureen served as a critical care nurse manager, educator and Clinical Nurse Specialist and served as a clinical faculty for undergraduate students in the University of Michigan School of Nursing.
Other Professional Highlights:
1993 Excellence in Nursing Award for Leadership, Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society, Rho Chapter
2002 University of Michigan School of Nursing, Mae Edna Doyle Teacher of the Year Award
Areas of Interest
Subject Matter Expertise:
- “Altering the Prescribing Patterns of Meperidine in a University Teaching Hospital: A Quality Improvement Initiative.” Poster/abstract presentation at the 63rd International Congress of the International Pharmacy Federation (FIP), Sydney, Australia. September 5-8, 2003.
- Saint, S., Kaufman, S., Thompson, M., Chenoweth, C., Roger, M. (2003): The Use of Urinary Catheter Reminder to Reduce Urinary Catheterization in Hospitalized Patients. Value in Health. 6(6):699, November/December 2003. [ISPOR Sixth Annual European Congress Contributed presentation abstracts: Contributed Poster Presentations: Session I: Urinary/Kidney Disease/Disorders: Urinary/Kidney Diseases/Disorders- Clinical Outcomes Studies]
- Saint, S., Kaufman, S., Thompson, M., Chenoweth, C., Roger, M.: The Use of Urinary Catheter Reminder to Reduce Urinary Catheterization in Hospitalized Patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 19 Supplement 1:227, April 2004. [Society of General Internal Medicine, 27th Annual Meeting Chicago, Illinois May 12-15 2004, Abstracts of Submissions accepted for presentation: Scientific Abstracts]
- Stevenson, J.G., Pearlman, M., Green C., Newland, S., Grondin, L., Thompson, M., Golembiewski, J., & Campbell D., (2004): Altering the Prescribing Patterns of Meperidine in a University Teaching Hospital: A Quality Improvement Initiative. JCAHO Journal of Quality and Patient Safety. 30(5), 277-281.
- Saint, S., Kaufman, S., Thompson, M., Chenoweth, C., Roger, M. (2003): “The Use of Urinary Catheter Reminder to Reduce Urinary Catheterization in Hospitalized Patients”. Poster presentations at the 2003 International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research European Congress in Barcelona, Spain, the 2004 Society of Hospital Medicine National Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the 2004 Society of General Internal Medicine National Meeting in Chicago, Illinois.
- Saint, S., Kaufman, S., Thompson, M., Chenoweth, C., Roger, M.: The Use of Urinary Catheter Reminder to Reduce Urinary Catheterization in Hospitalized Patients. JCAHO Journal of Quality and Patient Safety. In press
- Adamczyk, M., Hyzy, R., Bria, W., Campbell, D., Thompson, M., Strachan, C., Brach, L., Keesler, C., McClish, D., Hay, J., Lenart, P., Valerio, C., Dejonghe, D., Alaniz, C., Use and Satisfaction of Daily Goals for Patients in a Medical ICU: 252. Critical Care Medicine. 32(12) Supplement:A68, December 2004. [Society of Critical Care Medicine 34th Critical Care Congress Phoenix, Arizona, USA January 15-19, 2005: Poster Presentation: Education II]
- Piotrowski, M., Cohen, M., Mercier, J., Saint, S., Steinbinder, A., Thompson, M. (2005): Introducing the National Patient Safety Goals Department: Sharing Programs of Excellence from Individual Organizations. JCAHO Journal of Quality and Patient Safety. 31(1), 43-45.
- Piotrowski, M., Cohen, M., Mercier, J., Saint, S., Steinbinder, A., Thompson, M., (2005): Look-alike, Sound-alike Drugs Review: Include Look-alike Packaging as an Additional Safety Check. JCAHO Journal of Quality and Patient Safety. 31(1), 47-53.
- Goeschel, CA, Bourgault, A., Palleschi, M., Posa, P., Tacia, LL, Falkenburg, D., Clark, P., O’Neil, M., Shumacher, K., Thompson, M., Bosen, DM (2006): Nursing Lessons from the MHA Keystone ICU Project: Developing and Implementing an Innovative Approach to Patient Safety. Critical Care Nursing Clinics North America. 18, 481-492.
- Andreatta, P., Mangrulkar, R., Marsh, M., Chen, Y. 3, Cho, K., Thompson, M., Simulation-Based Training in Ultrasound Assisted Central Venous Catheterization: (Podium Presentation) International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, Orlando, FL. January 2007.
- Campbell, DA, Thompson, M. (2007): Patient Safety Rounds: Description of an Inexpensive but Important Strategy to Improve the Safety Culture. American Journal of Medical Quality. 22(1), 26-33, January/February 2007.
- Andreatta, P., Mangrulkar, R., Marsh, M., Chen, Y. 3, Cho, K., Thompson, M., Simulation-Based Training in Ultrasound Assisted Central Venous Catheterization: Research Abstract:32. Simulation in Healthcare: The Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. 2(1):62, Spring 2007.
- Bahl, V., Thompson, M., Commiskey, E., Anderson, S., Campbell, DA: Developing an Adverse Event Reporting System Using Administrative Data. Journal of Patient Safety. 4(1):31-37, March 2008.
- Bahl, V., Thompson, M., Kau, T-Y., Hu, H., Hy, HM., Campbell, D.: Do the AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators Flag Conditions That Are Present at the Time of Hospital Admission? Medical Care. 46(5), 516-522, May 2008.
- APIC Text of Infection Control and Epidemiology, 3rd edition (2009). Volume 1 Essential Elements, Chapter 12: Patient Safety.
- Patient Safety Rounds Identify Systems Problems and Improve Perceptions of Commitment to Safety, U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Innovations Exchange http://www.innovations.ahrq.gov/content.aspx?id=2261 , 2008.
- Reckard, P.E., Dickinson, S.P., Bettis, M., Lagrou, D., Thompson, M., Todd, M.R., Campbell, D.A., Park, P.K., Napolitano, L.M. (2009). Rapid Response Teams (RRT) Improve Outcomes in Surgical Patients compared to Medical Patients (poster presentation at the SCCM 39th Critical Care Congress, January 9-12, 2010).
- Andreatta, P.B., Saxton, E., Thompson, M., Annich, G. (2010). Simulation-Based Mock Codes Improve Pediatric Patient Survival Rates (presented as Abstract at 10th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, January 23-27, 2010, Phoenix, Arizona).
- Moote, M., Englesbe, M., Bahl, V., Hu, H.M., Thompson, M., Kubus, J., Campbell, D. (2010). PA_Driven VTE risk assessment improves compliance with recommended prophylaxis. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. 23(6), 27-35.
- Bahl, V, Thompson, M., Anderson, S., Commiskey, E., Demerath, M., Cotter,M., Griffes, L., Blackford, G., Campbell, D. (2011) Automated Trigger Tool Based On Hospital Billing Records Increases Adverse Event Reporting and Helps Improve Patient Safety Clinical Information & Decision Support Services, Office of Clinical Affairs, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI (poster presentation at NPSF Annual Patient Safety Congress, May 25-27, 2011).
- Andreatta, P., Thompson, M., Annich, G., Saxton, E. (2011). Simulation-based mock codes significantly correlate with improved pediatric patient cardiopulmonary arrest survival rates. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 12(1), 33-38.
- Heitor, F., Nyquist, L., Thompson, M., Norville, J., Alexander, N. (2013). Age Effects in Self-Reported Falls, Falls Injury, and Unsteadiness in Patients Beginning Anticoagulation Therapy for Cardiac Conditions. Poster Presentation at the American Geriatrics Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Dallas, TX, May 3 – 5, 2013.
- Morrison, R., Heidemann, L., Thompson, M., Pryce, S., Malloy, K., Parekh, V. (2016). Multidisciplinary Integration of House Officers into Institution-Level Patient Safety and Quality Improvement. Poster Presentation at the Macy Midwest GME Conference, May 23-24, 2016.
- Heidemann, L., Petrilli, C., Gupta, A., Campbell, I., Thompson, M., Cinti, S., Stewart, D. (2016). Improving Interdisciplinary Provider Communication Through a Unified Paging System. Southern Medical Journal. 109(6), June 2016.
- Levy, K., Heidemann, L., Morrison, R.J., Almendras, G., Thompson, M., Chang, R. (2017). Sign Out Tool Improvement Project: A Narrative Description of the Effectiveness of the University of Michigan's HOQSC. Poster Presentation at the Society for Hospital Medicine Conference, May 1, 2017.