- ABRCMS (https://www.abrcms.org/ )– Departmental representatives attend the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students
- SACNAS (https://www.sacnas.org/ ) - Departmental representatives attend the annual conference of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science
- Girls Who Code ( http://umich.edu/~girlswc/ ) – Student-run group that encourages and supports high school women in learning how to code
- U-MYScI (https://sites.google.com/view/umysci/home ) – An educational outreach program encouraging STEM education for middle school students in socio-economically underprivileged areas
- DBG (https://dbgdetroit.org/about-us) - a free, after-school, academic and athletic program that serves youth (8 – 18 yrs) in Detroit, by providing tutoring and more
- DNA Day ( https://midnaday.com/about/ ) - an annual event where scientists from the state of Michigan visit local high schools to present interactive, hands-on lessons about genetics, genomics, and biotechnology.
- Science of Me (https://rajapakse.lab.medicine.umich.edu/outreach ) - Middle school science outreach curriculum program
Our department supports and encourages our Bioinformatics Graduate Students and other departmental members in community outreach activities that strengthen diversity and inclusion in the STEM fields. Current outreach activities include: