Taihao Quan is a Research Professor in the Department of Dermatology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He obtained his PhD from Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan (1992) and MD degree from Norman Bethune University Medical Science, ChangChun, China (1983). Dr Quan received his postdoctoral training at Wayne State University and University of Michigan in the Department of Dermatology (1997).
Research in Dr. Quan's laboratory studies the molecular mechanisms of skin aging and age-related diseases focusing on three major areas: matrix biology, cell-matrix interaction, and tumor microenvironment and skin cancer. His current efforts are focused on age-associated dermal microenvironment (AADM) impairs skin structure/function and creates a tissue microenvironment that promotes age-related skin diseases, like poor wound healing and development of skin cancer. Dr. Quan's laboratory is specifically interested in the biological functions of CCN1, a secreted, extracellular matrix-associated protein that regulates a broad range of cellular activities through direct binding to cell surface integrin receptors. Elevated CCN1 expression in aged human skin reduces collagen production and increased collagen fragmentation and alters expression of numerous other secreted proteins, which together have potential deleterious effects on the dermal microenvironment. Research in Dr. Quan's laboratory also studies collagen regulation and degradation focusing on TGF-ß/Smad signaling and MMPs.
Dr. Quan has published over 65 peer-reviewed papers, review articles, and book chapters. His research has received support from the Nathan Shock Center for the Biology of Aging, the Dermatology Foundation, and from multiple NIH grants.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Norman Bethune University Medical Science, ChangChun, China, 1978-1983
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Medical Science, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan, 1987-1991
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan, 1991-1992
- Research Associate, Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1995-1997
- Research Fellow, Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1995-1997
- Senior Research Fellow, Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1997-1998