Structurally, the Steno North American Fellowships is a ‘flexible’ grant, in the sense that the applicant in agreement with both the partner and the home institution decides the length of the fellowship. Further, the applicant must make sure both the partner and home institution approves the budget in the application.
Funds are noted below in DKK (Danish Krone) with an approximate US Dollar amount in parenthesis.
Annually a total of up to DKK 6,5 million (approx. $1 million USD) is available for grants lasting from 3 months up to 1.5 years. A maximum of DKK 1,5 million (approx. $225,000 USD) can be applied for per grant, corresponding to a maximum of DKK 500,000 (approx. $75,000 USD) for a 6 month period.
Applicants may apply for funding for the following types of expenses:
- Salary for the applicant, including fringe benefits and holiday, according to current agreements and regulations.
- Operating expenses directly related to the project, e.g. consumables, minor equipment, and services.
- Conference participation that is directly related to the project, including registration and travel, max. DKK 50.000 (approx. $7,500 USD) per budget year.
- Publication expenses of results deriving from the fellowship, max. DKK 25.000 (approx. $3,800 USD) per budget year.
- Travel and relocation costs; max. DKK 50.000 (approx. $7,500 USD) per year for recipient and possibly family.
- Living abroad expenses for health insurance, visa, etc. for recipient and possibly family, max. DKK 50.000 (approx. $7,500 USD) per year abroad. If traveling with children an additional DKK 50.000 (approx. $7,500 USD) per year can be included.
- Direct administrative expenses of up to 5% may be included in the budget.
Administrative support may account for a maximum of 5% of the total budget and must be included therein.
The administrative support:
- can cover expenses such as for accounting, payment of salaries, purchasing, hiring, as well as auditing and financial reporting on the project
- cannot cover administrative expenses that are not directly related to the project
- can via the host institution be shared between the institutions of the main and co-applicant(s), as detailed in the application budget
- is not automatically included in the grant, and must be stated/applied for in the application budget, but should not be specified in detail
NNF will not award funding for:
- commercial activities
- overhead (i.e. rent, electricity, water, maintenance etc.)