Department of Family Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
1018 Fuller St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1213
Department of Family Medicine
Dr. Richardson is a physical activity and diabetes prevention researcher who emphasizes the importance of using low-cost and scalable approaches to promoting physical activity. Her most recent research focuses on lifestyle change in type 2 diabetes using continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and low-carb diet coaching. She develops and tests internet-mediated behavioral interventions to increase physical activity, decrease weight and prevent diabetes. Focusing on components of web-based interventions that are interactive and individually tailored, Dr. Richardson builds interventions that are more than just static informational websites. They incorporate objective monitoring, individually tailored feedback and motivational messaging while providing online social support to motivate and engage users.
Dr. Richardson currently serves as Associate Chair for Research Programs in the Department of Family Medicine. In addition, she serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Annals of Family Medicine and Program Director of the Michigan Collaborative for Type 2 Diabetes (MCT2D), a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Collaborative Quality Initiative. She currently sees patients at Family Medicine at Ypsilanti Health Center. Previously, Dr. Richardson served as the Director of the Veterans Administration Diabetes Quality Improvement Initiative (QUERI) and conducted a multi-site implementation study of the Diabetes Prevention Program for veterans.
Research Interests: Preventing and reversing Type 2 diabetes, clinical informatics and technology, preventative medicine, physical activity, chronic illness, diabetes prevention, internet-mediated interventions
Clinical Interests: Physical activity and chronic disease, diabetes, obesity, heart disease risk factor modification, health behavior change
Department Research Areas
Honors & Awards
2021: Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award; University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI
2019: Curtis G Hames Research Award; Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, STFM, Annual Spring Conference 2019; Toronto, ON
2016: MICHR Distinguished Clinical and Translational Research Mentor Award
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass., 1994
- Family Practice Intern, St. Margaret Memorial Hospital, Pittsburgh, Penn., 1995
- Family Practice Residency, Hunterdon Medical Center, Flemington, N.J., 1996
- Family Practice Residency, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Penn., 1998
- Research Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Mich., 2001
- Family Medicine
- Improving Outcomes in Kidney Disease Using Systems-Driven Education and Coaching, NIH, Co-Investigator (PI: Wright)
- Leveraging Technology to Address Access and Adherence to Conventional Hospital-Based Pulmonary Rehabilitation in Veterans with COPD, Harvard/VA Boston, Site Co-Investigator (PI: Moy)
- Utilization and Feasibility of Continuous Glucose Monitoring to Facilitate Self-Management Skills Among Adults with SCI, Craig H. Neilsen Foundation, Co-Investigator (PI: McKee)
- Annals of Family Medicine Journal, American Academy of Family Physicians, Principal Investigator
- Testing a Very Low-Carbohydrate Diet Version of the Diabetes Prevention Program to Reduce Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes, NIH/DHHS, Co-Investigator (PI: Saslow)
- Supporting, Maintaining and Improving the Surveillance System for Chronic Kidney Disease in the U.S., CDC, Co-Investigator (PI: Saran)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Value Partnerships, Michigan Collaborative for Type 2 Diabetes (MCT2D), BCBS of Michigan, Co-Investigator (PI: Chervanek)
Published Articles or Reviews
- Damschroder LJ, Buis LR, McCant FA, Kim HM, Evans E, Oddone EZ, Bastian LA, Hooks G, Jadri R, White-Clark C, Richardson CR, Gierisch J. Effect of Adding Telephone Based Brief Coaching to an mHealth App (Stay Strong) for Promoting Physical Activity Among Veterans: Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR, 2020;22(8). Doi:10.2196/19216. PMCID: PMC7435619.
- Griauzde DH, Saslow L, Patterson K, Ansari T, Liestenfeltz B, Tisack A, Nihn P, Shopinski S, Richardson CR. Mixed methods pilot study of a low-carbohydrate diabetes prevention program among adults with pre-diabetes in the USA. BMJ Open 2020;10:e033397. Doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-033397. PMCID: PMC7045213.
- Senteio C, Adler-Milstein J, Richardson CR, Veinot T. Psychosocial Information Use for Clinical Decisions in Diabetes Care. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2019:26(8-9):813-824. Doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocz053. PMCID: PMC7647218.
- Armstrong M, Paternostro-Bayles M, Conroy MB, Franklin BA, Richardson CR, Kriska A. Preparticipation Screening Prior to Physical Activity in Community Lifestyle Interventions. Transl J Am Coll Sports Med 2018;3(22):176-180. Doi:10.1249/TJX.0000000000000073. PMCID: PMC6411298.
- Moin T, Damschroder LJ, AuYoung M, Maciejewski ML, Datta SK, Weinreb JE, Steinle NI, Billington C, Hughes M, Makki F, Holleman RG, Kim HM, Jeffreys AS, Kinsinger LS, Burns JA, Richardson CR. Diabetes Prevention Program Translation in the Veterans Health Administration. Am J Prev Med 2017;53(1):70-7. Doi: 10.3389/fnut.2021.682137. PMCID: PMC6699500.
- Garcia T, Ford B, Pike D, Richardson C, Wolfson JA. Development and implementation of a community health centre-based cooking skills intervention in Detroit, MI. Public Health Nutrition, 2020; 24(3): 549-560. Doi: 10.1017/S1368980020003481. PMCID: PMC7854932
- Mizokami-Stout K, Choi H, Richardson CR, Piatt G, Heisler M. Diabetes Distress and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes: Mediator and Moderator Analysis of Peer Support Intervention. JMIR Diabetes, 2021; 6(1): e21400. Doi: 10.2196/21400. PMCID: PMC7834928.
- Sexton SM, Richardson CR, Schrager SB, Bowman MA, Hickner J, Morley CP, Mott TF, Pimlott N, Saultz J, Weiss BD. Systemic Racism and Health Disparities: A Statement From Editors of Family Medicine Journals. Annals of Family Medicine, 2021; 19: 2-3. Doi: 10.1370/afm.2613. PMCID: PMC7800750
- Ashur C, Cascino TM, Lewis C, Townsend W, Sen A, Pekmezi D, Richardson CR, Jackson EA. Do Wearable Activity Trackers Increase Physical Activity Among Cardiac Rehabilitation Participants? A Systematic Review and Meta Analysis. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev, 2021; 41(4): 249-256. Doi: 10.1097/HCR.0000000000000592.
- Litrownik D, Gilliam EA, Wayne PM, Richardson CR, Kadri R, Rist PM, Moy ML, Yeh GY. Development of a Novel Intervention (Mindful Steps) to Promote Long Term Walking Behavior in Chronic Cardiopulmonary Disease: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Res Prot, 2021; 10(4): e27826. Doi: 10.2196/27826. PMCID: PMC8120426
- Missel AL, Saslow LR, Griauzde DH, Marvicsin D, Sen A, Richardson CR, Liu X. Association Between Fasting Insulin and C-reactive Protein Among Adults Without Diabetes Using a Two-part Model: NHANES 2005-2010. Diabetol MEtab Syndr, 2021; 13: 29. Doi: 10.1186/s13098-021-00645-4. PMCID: PMC7944601
- Nelson AJ, Pagidipati NJ, Aroda VR, Cavender MA, Green JB, Lopes RD, Al-Khalidi H, Gaynor T, Kaltenbach LA, Kirk JK, Lingvay I, Magwire ML, O’Brien EC, Pak J, Pop-Busui R, Richardson CR, Reed M, Senyucel C, Webb L, McGuire DK, Granger CB. Incorporating SGLT2i and GLP-1RA for Cardiovascular and Kidney Disease Risk Reduction: Call for Action to the Cardiology Community. Circulation, 2021; 144(1): 74-84. Doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.053766.
- Jamison CD, Greenwood-Ericksen M, Richardson CR, Choi H, Chang T. Association Between Chlamydia and Routine Place for Healthcare in the United States: NHANES 1999-2016. Plos One, 2021; 16(5): e0251113. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0251113. PMCID: PMC8109783
- Lin YK, Richardson CR, Fisher S, Piatt G, Pop-Busui R. 1044-P: COVID-19 and Trends in Emergency Room (ER) Admissions for Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) and Hypoglycemia. Diabetes, 2021; 70(Supp 1). Poster presentation at American Diabetes Association. Doi: 10.2337/db21-1033-P.
- Robinson SA, Cooper JA, Goldstein RL, Polak M, Cruz Rivera PN, Gagnon DR, Samuelson A, Moore S, Kadri R, Richardson CR, Moy ML. A Randomised Trial of a Web-Based Physical Activity Self-Management Intervention in COPD. ERJ Open Research, 2021; 7: 00158-2021. Doi: 10.1183/23120541.00158-2021. PMCID: PMC8405869.
The main achievement of my research is or will be…
I lead the VA's national demonstration project related to diabetes prevention, the results of which changed national VA policy to make diabetes prevention programs available to veterans across the country. In the future, I hope my research will inform nutrition clinical practice and will support patients in self-management of their obesity so they can avoid developing type 2 diabetes.