Department of Family Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
1018 Fuller St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1213
Department of Family Medicine
Dr. Richardson is a physical activity, diabetes prevention, researcher who emphasizes the importance of using low-cost and scalable approaches to promoting physical activity. Recent research focuses on lifestyle change in type 2 diabetes using CGM and low-carb diet coaching. She develops and tests behavioral internet-mediated interventions to increase physical activity, decrease weight, and prevent diabetes. Focusing on components of web-based interventions that are interactive and individually tailored, Dr. Richardson builds interventions that are more than just static informational websites. They incorporate objective monitoring, individually tailored feedback and motivational messaging, and online social support to motivate and engage users. Dr. Richardson was the Director of the Veterans Administration Diabetes Quality Improvement Initiative (QUERI) and conducted a multi-site implementation study of the Diabetes Prevention Program for veterans.
Dr. Richardson currently serves as Associate Chair for Research Programs in the Department of Family Medicine. She currently serves as a member of the Institute for Health Policy and Innovation's Institute Leadership Team (ILT). In addition, she serves as an Editor of the Annals of Family Medicine.
She sees patients at Family Medicine at Ypsilanti Health Center →
Honors & Awards
2016 MICHR Distinguished Clinical and Translational Research Mentor Award
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass., 1994
- Family Practice Intern, St. Margaret Memorial Hospital, Pittsburgh, Penn., 1995
- Family Practice Residency, Hunterdon Medical Center, Flemington, N.J., 1996
- Family Practice Residency, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Penn., 1998
- Research Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Mich., 2001
- Family Medicine
- Michigan Center for Diabetes Translational Research (MDRTC), NIH/NIDDK, Co-Investigator, Core C (PI: Herman)
- Stay Strong: A Physical Activity Program for Afghanistan and Iraq Veterans (Project #3 of the Durham HSR&D CREATE Program Submission), VA (Merit Award), Principal Investigator
- An Internet Based Walking Program for Patients with Peripheral Arterial Disease, NIH/NIA, Co-Investigator (PI: Jackson)
- Achieving Improved Control of Blood Glucose among Type 2 Diabetes Patients Through Continuous Glucose Monitoring & Care Coordinator-Mediated Gains in Patient Self-Management Sophistication, Principal Investigator
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring with a Low Carbohydrate Diet to ReduceWeight in Patients with Pre-Diabetes, Principal Investigator
Published Articles or Reviews
- Damschroder LJ, Buis LR, McCant FA, Kim HM, Evans E, Oddone EZ, Bastian LA, Hooks G, Jadri R, White-Clark C, Richardson CR, Gierisch J. Effect of Adding Telephone Based Brief Coaching to an mHealth App (Stay Strong) for Promoting Physical Activity Among Veterans: Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR, 2020;22(8). Doi:10.2196/19216. PMID: 32687474.
- Griauzde DH, Saslow L, Patterson K, Ansari T, Liestenfeltz B, Tisack A, Nihn P, Shopinski S, Richardson CR. Mixed methods pilot study of a low-carbohydrate diabetes prevention program among adults with pre-diabetes in the USA. BMJ Open 2020;10:e033397. Doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-033397. PMID: 31969366.
- Wan ES, Kantorowski A, Polak M, Kadri R, Richardson CR, Gagnon DR, Garshick E, Moy ML. Long-term effects of web-based pedometer-mediated intervention on COPD exacerbations. Respiratory Medicine 2020;162(105878). Doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2020.105878.
- Wolfson JA, Leung CW, Richardson CR. More frequent cooking at home is associated with higher Healthy Eating Index-2015 score. Public Health Nutrition 2020;1-11. Doi:10.1017/S1368980019003549. PMID: 31918785.
- Richardson CR, Franklin B, Moy ML, Jackson EA. Advances in rehabilitation for chronic diseases – improving health outcomes and function. BMJ 2019;365:I2191. Doi: 10.1136/bmj.I2191. PMID: 31208954
- Janke EA, Richardson CR, Schneider KL. Beyond Pharmacotherapy: Lifestyle Counseling Guidance Needed for Hypertension. Ann Intern Med 2019;170(3):195-196. Doi:10.7326/M18-2361.
- Senteio C, Adler-Milstein J, Richardson CR, Veinot T. Psychosocial Information Use for Clinical Decisions in Diabetes Care. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2019:26(8-9):813-824. Doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocz053. PMID: 31329894.
- Moin T, Damschroder LJ, AuYong M, Maciejewski ML, Havens K, Ertl K, Vasti E, Weinreb JE, Steinle NI, Billington CJ, Hughes M, Makki F, Youles B, Holleman RG, Kim HM, Kinsinger LS, Richardson CR. Results from a Trial of an Online Diabetes Prevention Program Intervention. Am J Prev Med 2018;55(5):583-591. Doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2018.06.028
- Armstrong M, Paternostro-Bayles M, Conroy MB, Franklin BA, Richardson CR, Kriska A. Preparticipation Screening Prior to Physical Activity in Community Lifestyle Interventions. Transl J Am Coll Sports Med 2018;3(22):176-180. Doi:10.1249/TJX.0000000000000073. PMCID: PMC6411298
- Moin T, Damschroder LJ, AuYoung M, Maciejewski ML, Datta SK, Weinreb JE, Steinle NI, Billington C, Hughes M, Makki F, Holleman RG, Kim HM, Jeffreys AS, Kinsinger LS, Burns JA, Richardson CR. Diabetes Prevention Program Translation in the Veterans Health Administration. Am J Prev Med 2017;53(1):70-7
Published Articles via PubMed
The main achievement of my research is or will be…
I lead the VA's national demonstration project related to diabetes prevention, the results of which changed nation VA policy to make diabetes prevention programs available to veterans across the country. In the future, I hope my research will inform nutrition clinical practice and will support patients in self-management of their obesity so they can avoid developing type 2 diabetes.