- Further develop a basic clinical knowledge of the diagnosis, treatment, and management of common chronic and acute illness, with a particular focus on the social determinants of health.
- Identify evidence-based health education and promotion approaches that are successful in underserved urban communities.
- Participate in team-based care in community health care settings.
- Identify and work with community resources for mental health and substance abuse care for patients.
- Identify and gain knowledge in the application of community resources for care for underserved populations.
- Explore models of care tailored to low-resource settings and the application of these to the future practice of medicine.
- Gain experience in the role of the physician in patient and community advocacy on a local, state, or national level.
- Build leadership skills which foster respect for and partnership with underserved communities.