Dear Family Medicine Residency Applicants –
I would like to offer a sincere welcome to you, as you consider the University of Michigan for your residency training. As Department Chair of a group of exceptional Family Medicine educators, I see firsthand how committed they are to providing the BEST primary care available, continuing to ask critical questions of our health care system through our research efforts, and providing outstanding education at the medical student, residency and fellowship levels.
We have a commitment to health in our community as seen through our Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and population medicine efforts, our community hospital/university hospital partnerships and the broad impact of our Department of Family Medicine. Our third-year medical student clerkship has ranked in the top two clerkships for thirteen years running, is currently #1, and our residents are a part of this education.
Our commitment to our community can also be seen in the choices our residency graduates make – each year several remain here for fellowship, some assume faculty roles and others go on to private practice or care for underserved patients. We are very proud of the footprint our graduates make in the provision of primary care in the state of Michigan, across the nation and even across the world.
Ann Arbor is a vibrant, active community, where big name performances and events come to town, but where a small college town vibe still persists. It's frequently cited in "Top Ten Cities To Live." If you visit us here in Ann Arbor you will find a group of highly committed, thoughtful, innovative clinicians and educators, and we think you’ll want to stay. We look forward to having you visit us here to see the Michigan way – GO BLUE!
Dear Future Family Physician –
- Commitment to excellence through critical inquiry, in both patient care and medical education, which manifests in our access to evidence based medicine, our M and M (Morbidity and Mortality) resident presentations and scholarly work curriculum.
- Excellence in the core clinical skills of family physicians, with role models internally for the practice of broad spectrum family medicine including outpatient practice, inpatient practice, behavioral health, procedures and obstetrics.
- Maintaining a supportive community that fosters personal reflection and wellness in the rigorous pursuit of excellence.
Top Ten Program Highlights
- The best combination of training at top-rated community and academic hospitals
- Clinics in a more rural or urban underserved setting practicing full spectrum family medicine including obstetrics and procedures
- A top-ranked Department of Family Medicine as rated by U.S. News & World Report and Doximity.com that includes more than ninety faculty
- Numerous community outreach programs
- International medicine opportunities with faculty and residents traveling abroad annually
- Family medicine centered obstetrical training with a Family Mother Baby Obstetrical and Newborn service staffed exclusively by family medicine faculty
- Several well-established fellowships
- A well-established resident wellness curriculum and two block month curriculums
- A state-of-the-art Clinical Simulation Center that offers training in colonoscopy and emergency medical management
- Residents motivated for the future of family medicine with amazing achievements