Lois Phizacklea, 734-998-7874, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Lisa M. Meeks is an expert in disabilities in medical education. As an administrative leader and researcher, Meeks has co-authored several articles and books on the subject of disability in medical education, helping to inform policy and best practice in the area of disability services. She also consults with leading health science programs, colleges, and universities on a myriad of disability related issues.
Meeks' research interests include: Improving access to medical education for learners with disabilities, medical student and resident well-being, disability curriculum in medical education, reducing health care disparities in patients with disabilities, and the performance and trajectory of learners and physicians with disabilities. Her work as been featured recently on NPR, the Washington Post, CNBC, in Slate, cleveland.com, Bloomberg Law, the Chicago Tribune and in The New Physician magazine from the American Medical Student Association (AMSA).
Dr. Meeks is the co-founder and current President of the Coalition for Disability Access in Health Science and Medical Education, co-developer of both the AAMC Disability Webinar Series and the UCSF Disability Training Series for Faculty and Administrators, co-editor and author of the seminal text on disability in health science The Guide to Assisting Students With Disabilities: Equal Access in Health Science and Professional Education and co-PI and lead author of the AAMC Special Report: Accessibility, Inclusion, and Action in Medical Education: Lived Experiences of Learners and Physicians with Disabilities and co-creator of the social media campaign #DocsWithDisabilities
In addition to her work in the department of family medicine, Dr. Meeks is an Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation (IHPI) Clinician Scholar.
Areas of Interest
- Improving access to medical education for learners with disabilities
- Medical student and resident well-being
- Disability curriculum in medical education
- Reducing health care disparities in patients with disabilities
- Performance and trajectory of learners and physicians with disabilities
Lisa Meeks, PhD, clinical lecturer interviewed over 40 physicians, medical students, and administrators for the report, which outlines best practices for diversity and inclusion of medical students with disabilities
Learners and physicians with disabilities are at home at Michigan: A statement on disability inclusion in medical education
Written by Lisa Meeks, Ph.D., clinical lecturer, with Philip Zazove, M.D., chair, and contributions from across the University of Michigan Medical School
M.A., Specialization in Developmental Psychology, University of Alabama Huntsville
Ph.D., Learning and Development, Urban Education, Cleveland State University
Meeks LM, Jain NR. Accessibility, inclusion, and action in medical education: Lived experiences of learners and physicians with disabilities. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. March 13, 2018. Online here.
Meeks, L. M., Herzer, K., & Jain, N. R. (2018). Removing Barriers and Facilitating Access: Increasing the Number of Physicians With Disabilities. Academic Medicine, 93(4), 540-543. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002112
Meeks, L. M., & Jain, N. R. (2018). Accommodating chronic health conditions in medical education. Disability Compliance for Higher Education, 23(10), 1-6. doi: 10.1002/dhe.30432
- Meeks, L.M., Richards, A., Chang, A., & VanSchaik, Sandrijn (2017). Working with students with disabilities: simulation-based faculty development. Medical Education. doi: 10.1111/medu.13423
- Meeks, L.M., & Jain, N.R. Accommodating students on anatomy and other lab practical exams. Disability Compliance for Higher Education. doi: 10.1002/dhe.30347
- Brown, J. T., Meeks, L.M, and Rigler, M. (2017), Mental Health Concerns of Students on the Autism Spectrum. New Directions for Student Services, 2016: 31–40. doi:10.1002/ss.20189
- Meeks, L.M., Thierfeld Brown, J., & Warczak, J. Accommodating learners with Autism Spectrum Disorders in a Clinical Setting. Disability Compliance for Higher Education. In Press.
- Meeks, L.M., & Herzer, K.R. (2016). Prevalence of Self-Disclosed Disability Among Medical Students in U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools. JAMA. 2271-2272. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.10544
- Meeks, L.M., Jain, N.R., Herzer, K. R. (2016). Universal Design: Supporting Students with Color Vision Deficiency (CVD) in Medical Education. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability. (29) 3.
- Meeks, L. M, & Herzer, K. R. (2015). Accommodated MCAT Time and Performance Measurements. JAMA, 314(14), 1517-1518. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.10741
- Meeks, L.M. & Masterson, T. (2016). Parties, Dorms and Social Norms: A Crash Course in Safe Living for Young Adults on the Autism Spectrum. London, United Kingdom: Jessica Kingsley Publishers. ISBN: 9781849057462
- Meeks, L.M. & Jain, N. (Eds.). (2015). The Guide to Assisting Students with Disabilities: Equal Access in Health Science and Professional Education. New York, NY: Springer. ISBN: 9780826123749
- Meeks, L.M, Laird-Metke, E., Jain, N., Rollins, M., Gandhi, S., & Stechert, M. (2015). Accommodating Deaf and Hard of Hearing students in Operating Room Environments: A Case Study. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability. (28) 3.