Department of Family Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
1018 Fuller St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1213
Dr. McKee is a family physician with clinical and research expertise in disability health. As a physician with a hearing loss, he is especially interested in advocating for the rights of Deaf and hard of hearing patients to obtain equitable health care including accessible communication. His research focus includes health disparities for individuals with various disabilities, health information accessibility, health literacy, and telemedicine applications. He is also interested in the application of eye trackers and mixed methodologies to study how individuals acquire health information through visual and incidental learning opportunities. Dr. McKee is on board of the Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses (AMPHL). He is also currently an appointed member of the Roundtable on Health Literacy of the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. He also serves on the AcademyHealth Disabilities Research Interest Group (IG) Advisory Committee, Member.
- M.D., University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 2001
- Palmetto Richland Hospital, Family Medicine, Columbia, S.C., 2004
- M.P.H.: University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2010
- Family Medicine
- Mechanisms of Health Literacy and Information Accessibility in the Deaf, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, NIH, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Principal Investigator
- Pregnancy Outcomes and Experiences Among Deaf and Hard of Hearing Women, NIH, NICHD, and Brandeis University. Co-Principal Investigator
- Parents Empowering Parents: National Research Center for Parents with Disabilities and their Families, Brandeis University, Co-Investigator
- Investigating Disability Factors and Promoting Environmental Access for Healthy Living (IDEAL RRTC), NIDILRR, Co-Investigator
- Early Audiology Referral in Primary Care, NIH/NIDCD, Co-Investigator
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation, Co-Principal Investigator
- Synergy Grant, Co-Principal Investigator
Published Articles or Reviews
- McKee M, Barnett S, Block R, Pearson T. Impact of communication on preventive services among Deaf American Sign Language users. Am J Prev Med, 2011;41(1):75-79. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2011.03.004
- McKee MM, Choi H, Wilson S, DeJonckheere M, Zazove P, Levy H. Determinants of Hearing Aid Use among Older Americans with Hearing Loss. Gerontologist. 2018; epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1093/geront/gny051 PMID: 29788270
- Mahmoudi E, Zazove P, Meade M., McKee M.b Association Between Hearing Aid Use and Health Care Use and Cost Among Older Adults With Hearing Loss. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018; 144(6):498-505. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2018.0273
- Mitra M, Mckee MM, Akobirshoev I, et al. Pregnancy, Birth, and Infant Outcomes Among Women Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2020;58(3):418-426. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2019.10.012.
- McKee MM, Paasche-Orlow M, Winters PC, Fiscella K, Zazove P, Sen A, Pearson T. Assessing health literacy in Deaf American Sign Language users. J Health Commun, 2015;20(Sup2):92-100. DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2015.1066468 PMCID: PMC4714330