Acupressure for Persistent Cancer Related Fatigue
Funded by the National Institutes of Health, The National Cancer Institute
This randomized, single-blind, placebo controlled study will examine the effect of two different acupressure treatments compared to standard of care, since self-administered acupressure has been demonstrated to decrease persistent cancer-related fatigue (PCRF) for breast cancer survivor
Modeling Professional Attitudes and Teaching Humanistic Communication in Virtual Reality (MPathic VR)
Michael D. Fetters, M.D., M.P.H., M.A., Principal Investigator
Funded by The National Institutes of Health
The M-Pathic VR II project will rigorously evaluate the extent that the newly successful "virtual reality" software program (developed in Phase I) can enhance medical school curricula in professionalism, empathy, and in patient-centeredness (using verbal and non-verbal communication skills) as well as the ACGME competencies when treating a terminally ill cancer patient.
Translational Research in GI Cancer
Funded by the National Institutes of Health
This project aims to search for early detection biomarkers of pancreatic cancers in human plasma. Patients with different forms of pancreatic diseases, intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs), Type 2 diabetes, and normal patients will serve as the disease category of interest.
Media and Infographics
Research video preview for Dr. Suzanna Zick's Fatigue Reduction Diet for breast cancer survivors. Results from the first piloted randomized controlled trial available in the December issue of Breast Cancer Research and Treatment.
- Djuric Z, Bassis CM, Plegue MA, et al. Colonic Mucosal Bacteria Are Associated with Inter-Individual Variability in Serum Carotenoid Concentrations. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2018;118(4). doi:10.1016/j.jand.2017.09.013.
- Lajoie AS, Kerr JC, Clover RD, Harper DM. Influencers and preference predictors of HPV Vaccine Uptake among US Male and Female Young Adult College Students. Papillomavirus Research. March 2018. doi:10.1016/j.pvr.2018.03.007.
- Piil K, Jakobsen J, Christensen K, Juhler, M, Guetterman, TC, Fetters MD, Jarden, M. Needs and preferences among patients with high-grade glioma and their caregivers - A longitudinal mixed methods study. European Journal of Cancer Care. January 2018. doi:10.1111/ecc.12806.
- Djuric Z, Turgeon K, Sen A, Ren J, Herman K, Ramaswamy D, Zhao L, Ruffin IV MT, Normolle DP, Smith WL, Brenner DE. The Anti-inflammatory Effect of Personalized Omega-3 Fatty Acid Dosing for Reducing Prostaglandin E2 in the Colonic Mucosa Is Attenuated in Obesity. Cancer Prevention Research. Online: 13 Nov 2017. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-17-0091
- Rubinstein EB, Miller WL, SV Hudson, et al. Cancer Survivorship Care in Advanced Primary Care Practices: A Qualitative Study of Challenges and Opportunities. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2017 September 25; doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.4747
- Harris RE, Ichesco E, Cummiford C, Hampson JP, Chenevert TL, Basu N, Zick SM. Brain Connectivity Patterns Dissociate Action of Specific Acupressure Treatments in Fatigued Breast Cancer Survivors. Front Neurol. 2017 Jun 23;8:298. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2017.00298
- Kaye DR, Richardson CR, Ye Z, Herrel LA, Ellimoottil C, Miller DC. Association Between Patient Satisfaction and Short-Term Outcomes After Major Cancer Surgery. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2017;24(12):3486-3493. doi:10.1245/s10434-017-6049-2.
- Mahmoudi E, Lu Y, Metz AK, Momoh AO, Chung KC. Association of a Policy Mandating Physician-Patient Communication With Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Postmastectomy Breast Reconstruction. JAMA Surg. 2017 May 31. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0921. [Epub ahead of print]
- Djuric Z, Bassis C, Ren J, Chan R, Kato I, Ruffin MT, Sen A, Turgeon DK. Predictors of Carotenoid Concentrations in Human Serum: Role of the Intestinal Microbiome. The FASEB Journal, 2017 April, 31(1), supplement 168.7. doi: 10.1096/fj.1530-6860
- Greenlee H, Melissa J. DuPont-Reyes MJ, Balneaves LG, Carlson LE, Cohen MR, Deng G, Johnson JA, Mumber M, Seely D, Zick SM, Boyce LM, Tripathy D. Clinical practice guidelines on the evidence-based use of integrative therapies during and after breast cancer treatment. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 2017; DOI: 10.3322/caac.21397
- Jimbo M et al. Correlates of Patient Intent and Preference on Colorectal Cancer Screening. Am J Prev Med 2017 Feb 3 (in-press). doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.11.026.
- Presser BE, Katz ML, Shoben AB, Moore D, Ruffin MT, Paskett ED, Reiter PL. Effects of an Education Intervention about HPV Self-Testing for Healthcare Providers and Staff. J Cancer Educ. 2017 Jan 10. doi: 10.1007/s13187-017-1164-0.
- Gray SW, Gollust SE, Carere DA, Chen CA, Cronin A, Kalia SS, Rana HQ, Ruffin MT, Wang C, Roberts JS, Green RC. Personal Genomic Testing for Cancer Risk: Results From the Impact of Personal Genomics Study. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Dec 12. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2016.67.1503
- Zick, SM, Colacino, J., Cornellier, M. et al. Fatigue reduction diet in breast cancer survivors: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat (2016). doi:10.1007/s10549-016-4070-y
- Zick SM, Colacino J, Cornellier M, Khabir T, Surnow K, Djuric Z. Fatigue reduction diet in breast cancer survivors: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Dec 2. DOI: 10.1007/s10549-016-4070-y
- Langevin HM, Keely P, Mao J, Hodge LM, Schleip R, Deng G, Hinz B, Swartz MA, de Valois BA, Zick S, Findley, T. Connecting (T)issues: How Research in Fascia Biology Can Impact Integrative Oncology. Cancer Res. 2016;76(21):6159-6162. DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-16-0753
- Osawa T, Wittmann D, Jimbo M, et al. Providing prostate cancer survivorship care in Japan: Implications from the USA care model. Int J Urol. 2016;23(11):906-915. DOI: 10.1111/iju.13186
- Matovina C, Birkeland AC, Zick S, Shuman AG. Integrative Medicine in Head and Neck Cancer. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016 Oct 11 pii: 0194599816671885. DOI: 10.1177/0194599816671885
- Dossett LA, Hudson JN, Morris AM, Lee MC, Roetzheim RG, Fetters MD, Quinn GP. The primary care provider (PCP)-cancer specialist relationship: A systematic review and mixed-methods meta-synthesis. CA Cancer J Clin. 2016 Oct 11 DOI: 10.3322/caac.21385
- Opoku CA, Browne EN, Spangenberg K, Moyer C, Kolbilla D, Gold KJ. Perception and risk factors for cervical cancer among women in northern Ghana. Ghana Med J. 2016;50(2):84-9. PMID: 27635096
- Djuric Z. Obesity-associated cancer risk: the role of intestinal microbiota in the etiology of the host proinflammatory state. Transl Res. 2017 Jan;179:155-167. DOI: 10.1016/j.trsl.2016.07.017
- Zick SM, Sen A, Wyatt GK, Murphy SL, Arnedt JT, Harris RE. Investigation of 2 Types of Self-administered Acupressure for Persistent Cancer-Related Fatigue in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Jul 7. DOI: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.1867
- Cigolle CT, Nagel CL, Blaum CS, Liang J, Quiñones AR. Inconsistency in the Self-report of Chronic Diseases in Panel Surveys: Developing an Adjudication Method for the Health and Retirement Study. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2016 Jun. DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gbw063
- Baxter NT, Ruffin MT, Rogers MA, Schloss PD. Microbiota-based model improves the sensitivity of fecal immunochemical test for detecting colonic lesions. Genome Med. 2016;8(1):37. DOI: 10.1186/s13073-016-0290-3
- Arthur AE, Bellile EL, Rozek LS, Peterson KE, Ren J, Harris E, Mueller C, Jolly S, Peterson LA, Wolf GT, Djuric Z. Pretreatment serum xanthophyll concentrations as predictors of head and neck cancer recurrence and survival. Head Neck. 2016;38 Suppl 1:E15917. DOI: 10.1002/hed.24283
Collaborative Partners & External Affiliates
- Cancer Biology Program at the University of Michigan Medical School - Faculty: Zora Djuric, PhD, Professor
- Obesity Society - Obesity and Cancer Interest section - Past Chair: Zora Djuric, PhD, Professor
- National Cancer Institute, PREVENT Cancer Preclinical Drug Development Program - Review panel member: Zora Djuric, PhD, Professor
In the News
Cancer care is getting lost in translation. A new study from Philip Zazove, M.D. gives voice to the experiences of deaf breast cancer survivors and reveals the challenges of navigating a healthcare system designed for the hearing.
August 22, 2017: Brain Imaging Study Shows How Acupressure Fights Fatigue in Breast Cancer Survivors
A new study, co-authored by Suzanna Zick, N.D., M.P.H., analyzes how the brain reacts to different types of the acupressure, in the treatment of fatigue.
June 26, 2017: New Research: Law Reduces Some Racial, Ethnic Disparities in Breast Reconstruction Post-Mastectomy
A study led by Dr. Elham Mahmoudi finds that state law in New York that mandated physician-patient communication helped some cancer patients get a beneficial procedure. It was published in the June 2017 issue of JAMA Surgery.
A new meta-analysis, co-authored by Suzanna M. Zick, N.D., M.P.H., finds that meditation and yoga get highest grades for improving quality of life.
March is colorectal cancer awareness month. Read new research from Masahito Jimbo M.D. on what factors influence patients' decision to get screened.
January 6, 2017: Diet Could Help Breast Cancer Survivors Beat Fatigue Configure
A study by Dr. Zick finds that eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and omega-3-rich foods improved fatigue and sleep quality in breast cancer survivors.