- Big Hearted Stories is seeking storytellers with true stories - your own or one that you witnessed - about the aging experience.
- Five (5) local storytellers will be chosen to tell their tales at the 2020 Big Hearts for Seniors Event, Big Hearted Stories, on Thursday, May 7, 2020 at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor.
- Big Hearted Stories will raise money to support five (5) essential community programs of Michigan Medicine that serve older adults in Washtenaw County - Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels, Housing Bureau for Seniors, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Silver Club Memory Programs and Turner Senior Wellness Program.
- Applications will be accepted from November 1, 2019 - January 22, 2020.
- To apply, submit your name, phone number, email address, title/theme of story and a short description (250 words maximum) via: Qualtrics (preferred method), email or by mail to Turner Senior Resource Center ATTN: Big Hearts for Seniors, 2401 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105.
- One story idea per submission will be accepted.
- A panel will select stories that present a compelling, specific experience that can be shared in the 10-minute time limit.
- The five (5) finalists selected to tell their stories will receive individual and group coaching prior to the May 7 performance on the big stage at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor.
- This event is a celebration of the aging experience and a way to support essential services for Washtenaw County aging adults. As such, there are no prizes.
- November 1: Story submissions open
- December 5: A storytellers’ workshop will be open to the any interested individuals on best practices for telling an effective and engaging story
- January 22: Deadline for submissions
- February: Semifinalists will be invited to a Pitch Fest to tell a shortened version of their story to a panel that will select the final five (5) storytellers for the event
- May 7: Big Hearted Stories Event