The Healthcare Administration Scholars Program consists of the following 9 broad topic domains.
The University of Michigan Healthcare Administration Scholars Program
spent December 8, 2011 in Lansing discussing issues of importance to the
University of Michigan Health System with several state legislators.
Goal: Participants will develop a broad based understanding of Healthcare Economics based on the objectives listed in the following sessions.
- Healthcare Financing
- Coding and Billing
- Medical Practice Structures
Goal: Gain a basic understanding for the underlying principles and methodology of Operations Management. Be able to apply theory from the following topic areas to a specific issue in healthcare.
- Process Analysis
- Operations Management Theory
- Critical Pathway and Bottleneck Analysis
- Queuing Theory, Scheduling and Simulation
- Physical Plant Design/Management
Advocacy and Outreach
Goal: Understand the role of healthcare professionals and healthcare institutions in community outreach, healthcare advocacy, professional advocacy, and vulnerable populations.
- Local, Regional and National Advocacy and Outreach Opportunities
Goal: Understand the changes in the healthcare system impacted by or driven by advancements in information technology (IT).
- National Standards in Medical Informatics
- IT Infrastructure
- Electronic Health Records
Goal: Understand how administrative structures may differ depending on the primary mission(s) of a hospital or physician practice group, and how that may impact high level clinical decision making, strategic directions, financial management, and physician leadership.
- Mission Statement
- Hospital Administration Structure
- Policy Development
- Interdepartmental/Unit Interactions
- Disaster/Catastrophe Preparedness
Professional and Leadership Development
Goal: To develop the skills to manage one’s own professional development in order to advance into positions of leadership and mentorship.
- Positive Organizational Scholarship and Change Management
- Medical Innovation and Entrepreneurial Endeavors
- Effective Media Relations
- Advocacy in Medicine
Healthcare Law and Regulations
Goal: To develop understanding of Healthcare Law and Regulatory issues.
- Introduction to Consent Issues
- The Reduction and Recognition of Risk
- Serious Adverse Event Review
- Life in and After a Medical Malpractice Case
- Plaintiff’s Perspective in Medical Malpractice Cases
- Legal Obligations to Vulnerable Populations
- Privacy Compliance and HIPAA
Human Resource Management
Goal: To develop understanding of the basics of management of healthcare professionals.
- Basic Human Resource Principles
- Conflict Resolution
- Professionalism and Leadership Mastery
Goal: To develop understanding of the existing Quality Improvement Strategies for improving clinical performance in health systems.
- Quality Assurance and Process Improvement
- Data Assessment and Analysis in Quality Improvement Processes
- Models of Process Improvement
- Lean Tools and Process Improvement in Healthcare
- Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction; Are These the Same?
- The Emerging Emphasis on Peer Review of Physician Performance
Goal: Administrative physician leaders will understand the general structure of governance of nursing within most hospital organizations and the challenges nursing leadership faces when leading a complex workforce.
- Leading a Complex Workforce