The Department of Internal Medicine is the oldest and largest department in the University of Michigan Medical School. Within our 13 divisions are more than 800 dedicated faculty members and over 310 residents and fellows – all dedicated to advancing patient care, education, and research.
University of Michigan Health continues to be #1 in the state and one of the leading adult hospitals in the nation as ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-2023, with six of our medical-affiliated specialty service lines ranked nationally. In addition, U-M Health was given the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll distinction, the only one given in the state, for the seventh consecutive year.
To be the national standard of excellence for departments of Internal Medicine.
- To enhance and preserve the lives of our patients by offering them the most advanced, comprehensive, and compassionate care.
- To continually learn how to become better clinicians, researchers, and leaders and offer this knowledge to train healthcare professionals within our organization, our community, and around the globe.
- To translate research, conducted at the highest scientific standards, into meaningful improvements in health outcomes.
- To recruit a diverse medical team who believe in and will be dedicated to advancing our mission.
- To be good stewards of all the resources which have been entrusted to us.