Whether we are caring for our patients, conducting research, or educating medical students, residents, and fellows, our number one priority is to advance the understanding and prevention of cardiovascular disease.
Our faculty and staff treat patients at Michigan Medicine's Frankel Cardiovascular Center. Each year, the Center:
- Treats more than 6,000 hospital inpatients
- Sees more than 35,000 outpatients
- Performs more than 800 open-heart operations on adults, and nearly 600 on children, as well as hundreds more operations throughout the Center
- Performs more than 4,800 electrophysiological studies and procedures
- Performs more than 800 vascular surgery procedures
- Conducts more than 2,700 interventional radiology procedures and thousands of diagnostic imaging studies
Learn more about our patient care.
Our faculty have made groundbreaking contributions to the prevention and treatment of heart disease. Our research efforts span a broad spectrum of basic, translational, and clinical research activities.
Basic Science & Translational Research
Our strengths in basic and translational research include:
- Cardiac Myocyte Biology
- Cardiovascular Biomechanics
- Cardiovascular Genetics
- Tissue and Cell Regeneration
- Vascular and Thrombosis Biology
We are actively involved in clinical research. New medications, devices, surgical procedures, diagnostic tools and prevention strategies need thorough testing before they can become part of routine patient care. We are involved in numerous clinical trials that span our clinical areas.
Learn more about our research.
Education and Training
It is our duty to pass the torch of knowledge on to the next generation and also to share with healthcare professionals around the world what we have learned in the clinic and research lab to further the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
Our Fellowship Programs offer comprehensive educational curriculum designed to train future leaders in the field of cardiovascular disease. In addition, we offer a variety of continuing medical education courses and seminars taught by our faculty.
Learn more about our education and training.