Many faculty members in the division are recognized as world leaders in their subspecialty. These all demonstrate the enormous accomplishments the division’s faculty have achieved.
- Grace H. Elta, MD, AGAF, FASGE will receive the Rudolf V. Schindler Award from the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) in June 2018. The ASGE highest honor recognizes Dr. Elta's accomplishments in endoscopic research, teaching, and service to ASGE. The award exemplifies the standards and traditions of Rudolf V. Schindler, MD, founder of the American Gastroscopic Club, the forerunner of ASGE.
- Anna Lok, MD, FRCP, AGAF, FAASLD, President 2017, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Elizabeth K. Speliotes, MD, PhD, MPH received the U-M Dean's Basic Science Research Award
- Yatrik M. Shah, PhD received the U-M Dean's Basic Science Research Award
- Anna Lok, MD, FRCP, AGAF, FAASLD received the prestigious American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) William Beaumont Prize
- John M. Carethers, MD received the AGA Institute Gastrointestinal Oncology Section Research Mentor Award
- Graham Brady, MD received the Digestive Disease Week (DDW) Basic Science Travel Award
- William Hasler, MD is inducted into the Department of Internal Medicine's Clinical Excellence Society
- Peter Higgins, MD, PhD, MS is inducted into the Department of Internal Medicine's Clinical Excellence Society
- Joseph Kolars, MD received the American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) Distinguished Educator Award.
- Chung Owyang, MD is bestowed the Julius Friedenwald Medal from the American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) for his lifelong contributions to the field of gastroenterology and the AGA. The Friedenwald Medal is the highest honor the AGA bestows on its member. In the last 50 years, three of the five gastroenterology division chiefs (Drs. H. Marvin Pollard, Tadataka Yamada, Chung Owyang) were awarded his honor.
- Grace Elta, MD received the American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) Distinguished Clinician Award
- Anna Lok, MD received the Hugh R. Butt Award for Distinguished Achievement in Clinical Research in Hepatology by the American Digestive Health Foundation, Distinguished Scientist Award by the Hepatitis B Foundation, Outstanding Women in Science by the AGA Foundation, the Distinguished Service Award by the AASLD, and her induction into the Association of Medical Physicians.
- John Del Valle, MD received the 2012 American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) Distinguished Educator Award.
- Timothy Nostrant, MD received the 2012 AGA Distinguished Clinician Award.