The Michigan Medicine Comprehensive Pancreas Program will be launched in the fall of 2018.
National Pancreas Foundation – Center of Excellence
The National Pancreas Foundation awarded Michigan Medicine's Comprehensive Pancreas Program as a Center of Excellence in Pancreatitis - the only such program in Michigan.
Characteristics of NPF Centers of Excellence in Pancreatitis
- Reduce inconsistencies in care of patients with pancreatic disease
- Provide the best possible care and outcomes for patients to improve patient quality of life
- Raise awareness and understanding through educational programs
Centers of Excellence
- > 50 centers nationally - only 1 center in Michigan
- Meet specified criteria and complete an extensive audit
- Show focus and excellence in key areas
- Meet institutional standards
- Support programs in smoking and alcohol
- Offer clinical trials
- Contribute to a national patient registry
University of Michigan – Clinical Excellence Society
The Clinical Excellence Society recognizes in an ongoing fashion those faculty who, by their peers and their division, exude and demonstrate clinical excellence towards their patients and colleagues.
American Gastroenterological Association
Julius Friedenwald Medal
Established in 1941, this recognition prize honors an individual who has contributed significantly to AGA and has made lifelong contributions to the field of gastroenterology. This is the highest honor bestowed upon an AGA member.
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Rudolf V. Schindler Award
ASGE highest honor is granted periodically to a member whose accomplishments in endoscopic research, teaching, and/or service to ASGE exemplify the standards and traditions of Rudolf V. Schindler, MD, founder of the American Gastroscopic Club, the forerunner of ASGE.
Best Doctor Award
Research dedicated to pancreatic conditions is supported by over $10 million dollars in active funding (2017-2018) and over $21 million in funding the last 5 years (2013-2018). Funding is predominantly from the NIH but also includes:
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Cancer Society
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- American Pancreatic Association (APA)
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Elsa U Pardee Foundation
- Foundation for Pancreatic Research
- Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR)
- National Pancreas Foundation (NPF)
- Sidney Kimmel Foundation
- US Department of Defense (DOD)