Interim Division Chief, Robert Chang, MD
Robert Chang, MD, appointed Interim Division Chief of Hospital Medicine in October 2021, is a Clinical Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and the Associate Chief Clinical Officer for the Medical, Psychiatry, and Emergency Services for University Hospitals/Cardiovascular Center. Dr. Chang is also a member of the Physician Health Plan Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee based in Lansing, Michigan.
Dr. Chang earned his BA degree from Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts, and his MD degree from the University of Michigan. He completed his residency in internal medicine at the University of Michigan and then joined as faculty in 2005 as a Clinical Instructor in Internal Medicine. Dr. Chang was later promoted to Clinical Assistant Professor in 2009 and Clinical Associate Professor in 2017.
Dr. Chang served as the MPLAN Medical Director on units 5B (2010-2013) and 6B (2013-2017), which were subsequently recognized among the highest with employee satisfaction, as well as the Evan Newport HOPE Award to the 6B medical unit, which honors staff, faculty, students, or teams who have demonstrated ongoing commitment to the philosophy of patient and family centered care. He also served as an Associate Chief Medical Informatics Officer from January 2014 – October 2021, Medical Director of Pharmacy from November 2018 – October 2021, and Medical Director of the COVID Vaccine Coordination Office from November 2020 – May 2021.
Dr. Chang’s clinical and research interests are in hospital-associated process improvement and clinical informatics. He has completed additional training/certification in these areas including LEAN methodology, high reliability organization skills and leadership, change acceleration process, and health information technology leadership. He is also a champion of Strategies and Tactics for Recruiting to Improve Diversity and Excellence (STRIDE) concepts that focus on maximizing the likelihood that diverse, well-qualified candidates for faculty positions will be identified, recruited, retained, and promoted at Michigan Medicine.
Dr. Chang is a Senior Fellow of the Society of Hospital Medicine and Fellow of the American College of Physicians. In 2017, he was named an American College of Physicians Top 10 Hospitalist and was also elected to the Department of Internal Medicine Clinical Excellence Society, which recognizes faculty who, by their peers and their division, exude and demonstrate clinical excellence towards their patients and colleagues.
Senior Associate Division Chief, Sanjay Saint, MD, MPH
Sanjay Saint, MD, MPH, is the Chief of Medicine at the VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System and the George Dock Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan.
Dr. Saint's research focuses on patient safety, implementation science, and medical decision-making. He has authored approximately 300 peer-reviewed papers with over 110 appearing in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, The Lancet, or the Annals of Internal Medicine. Dr. Saint serves on the editorial board of 7 peer-reviewed journals including the Annals of Internal Medicine, is a Special Correspondent to the New England Journal of Medicine, and is an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) and the Association of American Physicians (AAP).
He has written for The Wall Street Journal, Detroit News, and Detroit Free Press, and has given a TEDx talk on culture change in healthcare. Dr. Saint is also the lead author of a book published by Oxford University Press entitled: “Preventing Hospital Infections: Real-World Problems, Realistic Solutions.” In 2016, he received the Mark Wolcott Award from the Department of Veterans Affairs as the National VA Physician of the Year and was elected as an international honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London).
Dr. Saint received his Medical Doctorate from UCLA, completed a medical residency and chief residency at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), and obtained a Masters in Public Health (as a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar) from the University of Washington in Seattle. He has been a visiting professor at over 75 universities and hospitals in the United States, Europe, and Japan, and has active research studies underway with investigators in Switzerland, Italy, Japan, Australia, and Thailand.
Division Administrator, Marisa Rodriguez, MPH
Marisa Rodriguez, MPH, received all of her degrees from the University of Michigan - a bachelor of arts in Spanish, a bachelor of arts in Women’s Studies with a concentration in Women’s Health and a master of Public Health in Health Management and Policy as a Dean’s scholarship recipient. Prior to joining the Division of Hospital Medicine, Marisa was the division administrator for Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Marisa has also been a key leader in the diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives for the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Staci Blackburn, MD, Director, Renal Transplant
- Robert Chang, MD, Clinical Service Chief
- Scott Childers, MD, Assistant Director, Medicine Faculty Hospitalists (MFH)
- Dena Fernandez, PhD, NP, Manager, Medical Short Stay Unit (MSSU) Advanced Practice Professionals
- Anupama Goyal, MD, Assistant Director, Medicine Faculty Hospitalists (MFH)
- Julieann Grant, MD, PhD, Director, Medicine Hematology PA Service (MHP)
- Paul Grant, MD, Director, Preoperative/Consult Services
- Ashwin Gupta, MD, Interim Section Chief of Hospital Medicine, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System
- Nathan Houchens, MD, Associate Chief of Medicine for Inpatient Care, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System
- Rafina Khateeb, MD, MBA, Director of Clinical Strategy and Medical Director of the Michigan St. Joe’s 10 East Medicine Unit
- Matthew Luzum, MD, MPH, Assistant Director, Medical Short Stay Unit (MSSU)
- Megan Mack, MD, Director, Medicine Faculty Hospitalists (MFH)
- Ruby Marr, MD, Assistant Director, Michigan St. Joe’s 10 East Medicine Unit
- Satyen Nichani, MD, Director, Education
- David Paje, MD, Director, Medical Short Stay Unit (MSSU)
- Jeffrey Rohde, MD, Director, Quality Improvement
- David Wesorick, MD, Director, Faculty Development
The administration support provides non-clinical administrative support to physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners within the Division of Hospital Medicine. The administrative staff supports approximately 130 faculty and staff.
- Laura Gerker, Business Manager
- Ann Bennett, Administrative Assistant Senior
- Kaley German, Administrative Specialist
- Lorena Gilbert, Administrative Specialist
- Michele Mazlin, Administrative Assistant Senior
- Domonique Washington-McNish, Administrative Assistant Intermediate
- Mary Jo Zechiel, Administrative Assistant Senior
Finance and Research Administration
- Marilyn Duron, Finance Manager (Post-Award)
- Carla Vorndran, Administrative and Research Coordinator (Pre-Award)
- Rachel Ehrlinger, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Jason Engle, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Jennifer Horowitz, Research Area Specialist Senior
Clinical Assistants provide clinical and operational support to physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners within the Division of Hospital Medicine.
- Jennifer Sheets, CA Supervisor
- Valerie Burns, MFH
- Christine Cislo, MFH
- Valerie Helmer, MFH
- Heather Lowery, MSSU
Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and Advanced Practice Providers
The advanced practice provider (APP) program in the Medical Short Stay Unit (MSSU) is one comprised of both physician assistants (PAs) and nurse practitioners (NPs). In collaboration with the onsite MSSU attendings, APPs provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of adult Internal Medicine patients who are on observation or inpatient status. Patient care is provided in two units: MSSU Maize (18 beds) and MSSU Blue (22 beds). In addition, the MSSU APPs partner with the MSSU triaging physician to conduct history and physicals and complete admissions for patients in the Emergency Department accepted for admission to the MSSU. The MSSU physician-APP relationship is based on a teamwork model of shared medical decision making. MSSU APPs are board-certified and state-licensed NPs or PAs with delegated prescriptive authority and also maintain DEA and ACLS certifications. Additionally, MSSU APPs participate in Hospital Medicine case conferences and quality initiatives.
Medical Short Stay Unit Advanced Practice Providers
- Ray Blush, NP
- Punyacha Crocker, NP
- Jennifer Delvero, NP
- Dena Fernandez, PhD, NP
- Li Gao, NP
- Francesca Gigg, NP
- Andria Hazergian, NP
- MaryKatherine Houchins, PA
- William Hovey, PA
- James Kanak, PA
- Lisa Koch, PA
- Laura Kremer, PA
- Jason Learman, NP
- Jeff Lentz, PA
- Catherine Lindback, PA
- Lynda Mitgutsch, PA
- Crystal Moreno, PA
- Jamie Neal, NP
- Innah Park, NP
- Mary Read, NP
- Kay Schiller, PA
- Steve Upton, PA
- Ling Wang, PA
- Brian Wasielewski, NP
Medicine Hematology Physician Assistants
- Julie Bruce, PA
- Tracy Hunt, PA (lead)
- Alyssa Rutherford, PA
- Tammy Weyer, PA
Faculty and Staff
The Michigan Hospital Medicine Safety Consortium (HMS) is a collaborative quality initiative comprised of hospitals across the state of Michigan. The following faculty and staff are part of the HMS Coordinating Center which is housed at Michigan Medicine.
- Scott Flanders, MD, Program Director
- Vineet Chopra, MD, MSc, QI Consultant and PICC Physician Lead
- Tejal Gandhi, MD, QI Consultant and Antimicrobial Physician Lead
- Steven Bernstein, MD, MPH, QI Consultant & Data Design Expert
- Valerie Vaughn, MD, MSc, QI Consultant & Antimicrobial Resource Expert
- Lindsay Petty, MD, QI Consultant & Antimicrobial Resource Expert
- Paul Grant, MD, QI Consultant & VTE Resource Expert
- Elizabeth McLaughlin, Project Manager
- Elizabeth Vasher, Clinical Information Analyst Intermediate
- Daniel Nielsen, Database Analyst/Programmer Senior
- Tawny Czilok, QA Coordinator
- Jessica Southwell, QA Coordinator
- Erin Pollock, Program Evaluation Specialist
- Jennifer Horowitz, Research Area Specialist Senior
- Megan O'Malley, Statistician Lead
- Jennifer Minock, Executive Assistant Senior
For a listing of our faculty, please click here.
- Leadership and Staff
- A Message from Our Chief
- Awards and Recognition
- Employment Opportunities
- Contact Us