Our two fellowship programs (3-year Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship and 2-year Critical Care Medicine Fellowship) use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) from the Association of American Medical Colleges. We do not accept other forms of applications. Since our program is funded in part from a USA NIH training grant, we do not accept applications from those who are not USA citizens or permanent residents. ERAS will open for us to view applicants on July 15, 2019.
Submit application via ERAS:
Requirements and suggestions for your application:
- Letters of recommendation are vital in our assessment of applicants. We require a minimum of 3 letters; up to 5 will be accepted. Because we find the following to be the most salient and helpful, we require:
- A letter from your internal medicine department chair or residency program director.
- Also useful would be a letter from any senior faculty with whom you had significant interaction, especially if they are members of the Pulmonary and/or Critical Care Divisions.
- Otherwise, the most helpful letters will be from faculty who can speak to your attributes, performance, and potential in clinical and investigative endeavors.
- Under most circumstances, Dean's letters and transcripts from medical school will not be helpful. Unless unusual circumstances warrant this, we prefer not to receive these.
- We suggest that your personal statement should give us insight into not only who you are, but who you would like to be and how you envision that your fellowship experience will foster your development.
- Information regarding conditions of appointment as a clinical program trainee at the University of Michigan can be read here.
- We offer a 3-year combined Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship as well as a 2-year Critical Care Medicine Fellowship. The NRMP match information is for the combined Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program. Our Critical Care Medicine Fellowship is outside the NRMP match. Applicants applying to our Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program do not have to register for the subspecialty match.
- Due to our involvement in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), we are unable to consider any applicants in our combined Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship who are not registered for the subspecialty match.
- Because portions of fellowship training may be funded by our NIH Training Grant, fellowship applications will only be accepted from individuals who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents (i.e. holders "green cards").
3-year Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Training Program
The Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Training Program participates in the NRMP Medical Specialties Matching Program (MSMP).
Below is the match process timeline for fellowship beginning July 1, 2020-2023.
- 08/28/2019: Match Opens
- 10/02/2019: Ranking Opens
- 11/06/2019: Quota Change Deadline
- 11/20/2019: Rank Order List Certification Deadline
- 12/04/2019: Match Day
Our 2019 Interview Days (all Tuesdays) are:
2-year Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Training Program
This program is designed for Emergency Medicine graduates seeking board eligibility in Critical Care Medicine. All Emergency Medicine resident applicants are encouraged to complete the prerequisite 6 months of Internal Medicine rotations (including 3 months of medical ICU) prior to application. Applications should be uploaded into ERAS under the University of Michigan, Internal Medicine, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program, since there is not a separate stand alone IM/CCM ERAS application (or match) for our site.
- 07/15/2019: ERAS opens and applications begin to be reviewed.
- Fall 2019: Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted and individual interviews will be scheduled.
- Late Fall/Early Winter: Offer made to selected applicant.