The Michigan Medicine Division of Rheumatology was established in 1960, one of the first specialized U.S. clinical units dedicated to the study and treatment of rheumatic diseases. Our Rackham Arthritis Research Unit had previously been established in 1937 and we were awarded our first NIH Training Grant in 1957. 186 individuals have completed Rheumatology training since 1956, with 65 since 2000. Over that latter period, 15 graduates have made their career in Michigan.
Dr. David A. Fox, MD, who recently stepped down as our Division Chief after 28 years of distinguished service, gives an overview of our Division's history, describing some of its most notable events.