The University of Michigan Lupus Program has a strong program in basic science research. Areas of research include:
- Identifying genetic and epigenetic abnormalities in lupus patients that predispose them to the disease.
- T cell abnormalities in lupus.
- Abnormal cell death and the development of lupus.
- Abnormalities in the Interactions of different cells of the immune system that might predispose lupus patients to the disease.
- Mechanisms by which lupus patients develop accelerated heart disease.
- Mechanisms of kidney damage in lupus.
- Role of dendritic cells and neutrophils in lupus.
- Abnormal signal transduction in lupus cells.