Clinical trials are a type of research study design to test new treatments or diagnostic tests in those affected by a specific disease or condition. They help achieve a better understanding of the disease that is being investigated and determine the effectiveness and safety of new treatments.
Our group actively participates in different clinical trials giving our patients the opportunity to receive promising new treatments or participate in new diagnostic procedures. Participation is completely voluntary.
Ongoing Clinical Trials
A randomized trial for patients with stable systemic lupus who may be eligible to withdraw CellCept (MMF/mycophenolate mofetil) from their treatment regimen - currently enrolling
The purpose of this study is to describe the effect of withdrawal from MMF on risk of clinically significant disease reactivation in quiescent SLE patients who have been on long-term MMF therapy. View study on the UM Health Research Website.
SABLE - Safety and Effectiveness of Belimumab in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Registry - currently enrolling
The purpose of this registry is to collect additional information regarding the side effects and effectiveness of BENLYSTA (belimumab) when given with other lupus medicines to adults with active systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Information will be collected on serious events that are not that common or may only be seen with long-term treatment. These events include death, cancers, serious infections and other infections of interest, and serious mental health problems. Information on the effectiveness of BENLYSTA will also be collected.
Phase 2 Study of Baricitinib in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) - not enrolling currently
Clinical research studies have shown that baricitinib is useful in treating other autoimmune diseases involving the joints, skin, and kidneys. This research study is hoping to learn if this drug could also help to improve symptoms in people with lupus.
Lupus Clinical Trials Consortium (LCTC) Lupus Data Registry - not enrolling currently
The purpose of this registry is to study presentation,clinical course, treatment patterns, and outcomes in patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE).
Past Clinical Trials
- A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Belimumab plus Standard of Care versus Placebo plus Standard of Care in Adult Subjects with Active Lupus Nephritis
- A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter, Dose-Ranging Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of PF-04236921 in Subjects with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (BUTTERFLY)
- Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Perfusion, and Diffusion Tensor Imaging in Neuropsychiatric Lupus
- Ovarian reserve in women treated with chemotherapy and hormonal therapies versus controls
- Multi-Center, Open label Continuation Trial of LymphoStat-B ™ Antibody (Monoclonal AntiBLyS Antibody) in Subjects with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) who completed the Phase 2 Protocol LBSL02
- A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, 76-Week Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Belimumab (HGS1006, LympoStat-B™), a Fully Human Monoclonal Anti-Blys Antibody, in Subjects with SLE
- A Phase III, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Rituximab in Subjects with ISN/RPS, Class III or IV Lupus Nephritis
- Long term outcomes of children born to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) patients
For general information on clinical trials please visit: