Dr. Allison Ruff graduated from the University of Florida before obtaining her medical degree at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. She completed her internal medicine training at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH, where she also served as Chief Medical Resident. Her clinical interests include primary care of medically complex adults, women's health, preventative medicine, and medical education. She lives in Ann Arbor with her husband and three children.
What attracted you to the MHPE Program?
I have been involved in medical education throughout my career but I have reached a place where I felt the gap in my educational knowledge. The MHPE program allows me to focus on my personal areas for development while also working full time and being a Mom of
Areas of Interest
Primary Care General Internal Medicine with a focus on medically complex patients and women’s health, also focused on promotion of General Internal Medicine and primary care careers amongst medical students.
- Laboon A, Mastracci T. A 67-year old Man with an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, 2013 80(3):161-167
- Ruff A, Hu B, Teng K, Rothberg M. Abstract: Intentional and Incidental Screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurism in Outpatient Primary Care Clinics. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2014 29(1) Supplement pp. 128
- Ruff AL, Teng K, Hu B, Rothberg MB. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms in outpatient primary care clinics. Am J Med. 2015 Mar;128(3):283-8. Epub 2014 Nov 13. PubMed PMID: 25446298.
- Ruff A, Patel K, Joyce JR, Gornik HL, Rothberg MB. The use of pre-existing CT imaging in screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms. Vasc Med. 2016 Dec;21(6):515-519. Epub 2016 May 28. PubMed PMID: 27235992.
- Ruff, AL, Alford, DP, Butler, R, Isaacson, JH. (2016). Abstract: Empowering Residents to Address Chronic Pain and Prescription Opioid Misuse in Primary Care. Substance Abuse, 37 (2). Supplement pp. 48
- Agnihotri A, Ruff A, Gotterer L, Walker A, McKenney AH, Brateanu A. Adult Onset Still's Disease Associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae Infection and Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis. Case Rep Med. 2016;2016:2071815. Epub 2016 Oct 26. PubMed PMID: 27847518; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5101375.
- Martinez KA, Deshpande A, Ruff AL, Bolen SD, Teng K, Rothberg MB. Factors Associated with Routine Recommendation of Mammography for Women Aged 40-49: Provider Characteristics and Screening Influences. South Med J. 2017 Feb;110(2):129-135. PubMed PMID: 28158883.
- Ruff AL, Alford DP, Butler R, Isaacson JH. Training internal medicine residents to manage chronic pain and prescription opioid misuse. Subst Abus. 2017 Apr-Jun;38(2):200-204. Epub 2017 Apr 10. PubMed PMID: 28394733.
- Martinez KA, Deshpande A, Ruff AL, Bolen SD, Teng K, Rothberg MB. Are Providers Prepared to Engage Younger Women in Shared Decision-Making for Mammography? J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2018 Jan;27(1):24-31. Epub 2017 June 28. PubMed PMID: 28657820.
- Schwartz E., Ruff A., Kinning M., Fendrick AM. Ease of Ordering High and Low Value Services in a National Sample of Electronic Medical Record Systems. Am J Manag Care. 2019;25(10):294-297.
- Ruff AL, Seiler K, Brady P, Fendrick AM (2019) Naloxone fill rates after opioid overdose. J Addict Med Ther Sci 5(1): 001-002.