Astrid Fishstrom is a Research Area Specialist for the University of Michigan Medical School’s Department of Learning Health Sciences. She joined this department in 2017. Since 2007, Astrid has managed, coordinated, and implemented research projects across several departments at the University of Michigan. She oversaw diverse studies, first at the School of Nursing, then at the Frankel Cardiovascular Center, and most recently at the Department of Psychiatry. Her research topics have included women’s health, diabetes and depression, cancer, nursing risks, adolescent brain development, and infection prevention associated with cardiac surgery. Of special interest to her are issues surrounding the aging population, as well as study participant recruitment and retention. She received her Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology from the University of California, Berkeley, and her Master’s degree in Social Work from the University of Michigan.
She and her husband, Jack, like to walk, run, bike, ski, swim, read, go to the theater, and visit their children in New York and Chicago. For hobbies, she likes to sew and crochet.
- Vinson, A., Fishstrom, A., Rooney, D., (2021) Learning and Collaboration during Crisis: A Novel University-Community Partnership to Manufacture Medical Personal Protective Equipment. IJERPH Special Issue COVID-19 in North America: Clinical, Psychosocial, Laboratory, and Epidemiological Aspects Pages 1-10
- Stein, K. F., Keller, C. and Fishstrom, A. (2013), An unexplored ethical issue in clinical research:Disclosure of individual findings in the Creando Posibilidades [creating possibilities] study. Res. Nurs. Health, 36: 311–319. doi: 10.1002/nur.21533
- Likosky, D.S., Paone, G., Zhang, M., Rogers, M.A., Harrington, S.D., Theurer, P.F., DeLucia, A. 3rd, Fishstrom, A., Camaj, A., Prager, R.L. (2015), Red Blood Cell Transfusions Impact Pneumonia Rates After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Jul 21. pii: S0003-4975(15)00579-2. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.03.089. Epub 2015 Jul 21.
- Likosky, D.S., Wallace, A.S., Prager, R.L., Jacobs, J.P., Zhang, M., Harrington, S.D., Saha-Chaudhuri, P., Theurer, P.F., Fishstrom, A.B., Dokholyan, R.S., Shahian, D.M., Rankin, J.S., (2015) Sources of Variation in Hospital-Level Infection Rates After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting: An Analysis of The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Heart Surgery Database. Ann Thorac Surg 2015 Nov 28;100(5):1570-5; discussion 1575-6. Epub 2015 Aug 28.
- Iott, B., Caverly, T., Fishstrom, A., King, D., Meng, G., Flynn, A., (2019) Clinician Perspectives on the User Experience, Configuration, and Scope of Use of a Patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) Dashboard. PervasiveHealth'19 Proceedings of the 13th EAI International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare Pages 21-30