Deb Rooney, PhD has over twenty-five years’ experience in medical education, with the last twelve focused on simulation-based education and assessment. Dr. Rooney is Associate Professor of Learning Health Sciences and the Director of Education and Research for the Clinical Simulation Center for University of Michigan Medical School and is Chair for the ACS AEI Technologies and Simulation Committee. Her interests include research with an emphasis on assessment and measurement. Particular areas of focus include validation processes associated with simulation-based education, and the application of modern measurement models for analyses of curriculums’ impact on trainees’ performance and patient care.
Areas of Interest
Research and scholarly interests: simulation-based education, performance assessment, measurement, validation of simulators and performance measures, competency-based performance assessment
Subject-matter expertise: simulation-based education, surgical education, assessment and measurement, validation processes, Rasch measurement model
Other professional highlights:
- Co-chair, American College of Surgeons Consortium Committee, Simulation and Technology Committee
- Faculty, Master of Health Professions Education
Rooney DM, Mott NM, Ryder CY, Snell MJ, Ngam BN, Marnard ML, Jeffcoach DR, Kim GJ. Evidence supporting performance measures of laparoscopic salpingostomy using novel low-cost ectopic simulator. Global Surg Educ 1, 41 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s44186-022-00044-x
- Wisbach GG, Johnson KA, SormalisC, Johnson A, Ham J, Blair PG, Houg S, Burden AR, Sinz EH, Fortner SA, Steadman RH, Sachdeva AK, Rooney DM. Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on American College of Surgeons – Accredited Education Institutes & American Society of Anesthesiologists – Simulation Education Network: Opportunities for Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Surgery. 2022 Jul 6;S0039-6060(22)00438-X.
- Schmidt P, Fairchild P, Fenner D, Rooney D. The Fundamentals of Vaginal Surgery Simulator pilot study: developing, validating, and setting proficiency scores for a vaginal surgical skills simulation system. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2021 Nov;225(5):558.e1-558.e11.
- Hayes CL, Piehl AM, Rooney DM. Meeting the new joint commission’s maternal safety requirements. Sim. Healthcare. 2021 Aug 1;16(4):233-238.
- Barsness, KA, Rooney, DM; Davis, LM; Chin, AC. Validation of measures from a thoracoscopic esophageal atresia/tracheoesophageal fistula repair simulator. J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 29-22.
- Davis LM, Barsness KA, Rooney DM. Design and development of a novel thoracoscopic tracheoesophageal fistula repair simulator. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;184:114-6.
- Rooney DM, Santos BF, Hungness ES. Fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery (FLS) manual skills assessment: surgeon vs nonsurgeon raters. J Surg Educ. 2012 Sep-Oct;69(5):588-92.
- Rooney DM, Hungness ES, Darosa DA, Pugh CM. Can skills coaches be used to assess resident performance in the skills laboratory? Surgery. 2012 Jun;151(6):796-802.
- Pugh CM, Iannitelli KB, Rooney D, Salud L. Use of mannequin-based simulation to decrease student anxiety prior to interacting with male teaching associates. Teach Learn Med. 2012;24(2):122-7.