Health Infrastructures and Learning Systems (HILS) is housed within the University of Michigan Medical School Department of Learning Health Sciences, a first-in-the-nation basic science department focused on learning across multiple levels of scale (i.e. individual, group, organization, region, nation) to promote innovation and improvement in health. The program and its faculty also have close affiliations with the Schools of Information, Public Health, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing and others.
The HILS program is part of an international movement to promote learning health systems, which are organizations or networks which continuously self-study and adapt using data and analytics to generate knowledge, engage stakeholders, and implement behavior change to transform practice.
HILS primary focus is to address the social and technical challenges systems face in making continuous health improvement routine. By developing and studying health infrastructures and learning systems, we can find effective approaches to:
- Discover new knowledge
- Identify how to best implement that knowledge
- Turn it into routine process
The HILS program places you at the forefront of this emerging science.
Why choose HILS:
- HILS is unique in its joint, equal emphasis on information sciences and social sciences related to behavior change and continuous improvement in health.
- HILS develops leaders and researchers in learning health systems and implementation science.
- Graduates will be able to create innovative solutions to address some of the most demanding health care challenges
Who should apply?
Students with a wide range of health care and professional experiences excel in the HILS program, including:
- Health Sciences/Health Professions
- Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Organizational and Policy Sciences
Want to learn more about HILS?
- Attend a weekly HILS Seminar on Campus. Check dates and topics here.
- Come to HILS Open House on Tuesday, October 15. Register here.
- Contact HILS Program staff at HILS-PHD-MS@umich.edu
- Meet us at our on and off campus events