The goal of this page is to address any questions or concerns the HILS Students may have regarding their academics and COVID-19. For any additional questions, feel free to reach out to the HILS Team at Please see the University of Michigan Campus Blueprint for additional information.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Will Fall 2020 courses be administered in-person or online? 

University of Michigan classes will be delivered in a variety of formats including in-person, remote and a hybrid mix of in-person and remote instruction. HILS will offer remote (LHS 650, LHS 660, & LHS 668) and hybrid (LHS 621, LHS 665, & LHS 721) courses. Beginning August 7, you can adjust your course selection as needed.

The density of students in classrooms will be reduced and some access to buildings may require M-Card swipes to reduce unnecessary building traffic. Face coverings are required indoors, as well as outdoors and on U-M transportation.

Will my funding for the HILS Program be impacted? 

Regardless of how courses are administered, funding for the HILS Program will not be impacted.

Will I still have a Graduate Student Research Assistant (GSRA) position and funding? 

HILS will fulfill the specific commitments made in each admissions offer letters. For those accepting Graduate Student Research Assistant (GSRA) positions, your appointments will begin effective September 1, 2020.

Will the COVID-19 outbreak affect my F-1 visa?

As of July 27, 2020, returning and transfer students (from another U.S. college or university) will be allowed to take in-person, hybrid and online classes as they prefer. You must be enrolled full-time, but there is not limit on the number of online credits you may take. Students who are in the U.S. can remain in the U.S. if the university switches to an entirely online model mid-semester, or when U-M switches to all-remote learning as planned on November 30, 2020. Please see the International Centerfor the latest updates.


Is emergency financial relief available? 

Rackham does have funding to support students during emergencies. Information and criteria can be found here. 

What health services are available to me at this time? 

University Health Services remain open during normal business hours. Additionally, students are able to request appointments with the Rackham's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) counselor, Laura Monschau, or Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' counselor, Kate Hagadone.

How will COVID-19 impact international and domestic travel? 

At this time the University of Michigan is restricting all international travel. Domestic travel is strongly discouraged and we are recommending seeking virtual alternatives.