Our History

Moving Forward, Honoring Our Past

While our focus is on improving the future, the Department of Learning Health Sciences has a long history of research, education, and service in the process of translating medical knowledge into practice to produce a better state of health and clinical performance. Our Timeline gives you an idea about where we started, including several different names: the Department of Postgraduate Medicine; the Department of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Professions Education; the Department of Medical Education; and, since May 2014, the Department of Learning Health Sciences.

Timeline


1850 - University of Michigan Medical School (UMMS) founded


1892 - UMMS offers first continuing medical education (CME) courses on medical science and patient care


1927 - UMMS establishes the Department of Postgraduate Medicine, the first academic department in the U.S. to focus on CME


1969 - UMMS opens the Towsley Center for Continuing Medical Education to house the department and expand CME offerings


1972 - Department becomes the Department of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Professions Education


1982 - UMMS becomes one of first nationally accredited CME providers by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)


1997 - Department becomes the Department of Medical Education


1998 - Department establishes the Medical Education Scholars Program to train UMMS faculty in educational theory, practice and research


2004 - UM Clinical Simulation Center opens in the Towsley Center


2011 - UMMS transfers CME functions to individual clinical departments


2013 - Department launches the Master of Health Professions Education, the first-in-the-world competency-based program for health professionals, and the Patient Safety and Quality Leadership Scholars Program


2014 - Department becomes a basic science department, expands its mission to become the Department of Learning Health Sciences, and moves to Victor Vaughan Building (the Clinical Simulation Center remains in the Towsley Center)