Areas of Interest
Research and scholarly interests: influence of social and cultural factors on health behavior and health attitudes, population differences in disease perception, and health care of older adults, development of survey instruments
Subject-matter expertise: assessment, research design, quantitative methods, self-assessment, mixed methods, and program evaluation
Other professional highlights:
- 100 peer-reviewed publications
- Associate Director for Education and Evaluation, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, Ann Arbor VA Medical Center & the Geriatrics Center, University of Michigan Medical School
- President, Behavioral Research in Diabetes Group Exchange (2004-2005 and 2014-2015)
- Assisted in the development and validation of the Diabetes Care Profile, the Brief Diabetes Knowledge Test, the Diabetes Attitudes Scale, the Diabetes Empowerment Scale, the Diabetes Semantic Differential Scale, and the Geriatrics Clinical Decision-Making Assessment
- Editorial Board for the Metabolic Diseases Section, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes
- Member, College of CSR Reviewers, National Institutes of Health
- Reviewer for 23 peer-reviewed journals, including Advances in Health Science Education, MedEdPORTAL, and Evaluation & the Health Professions
- Faculty, Master of Health Professions Education program
- Fitzgerald JT, Davis WK, Connell CM, Hess GE, Funnell MM, Hiss RG: Development and validation of the Diabetes Care Profile. Evaluation & the Health Professions 19(2):208-230, 1996.
- Fitzgerald JT, Funnell MM, Hess GE, Barr PA, Anderson RM, Hiss RG, Davis WK: The reliability and validity of a brief diabetes knowledge test. Diabetes Care 21(5):706-710, 1998.
- Fitzgerald JT, Gruppen LD, White CB: The influence of task formats on the accuracy of medical students’ self-assessments. Academic Medicine 75(7):737-741, 2000. Fitzgerald JT, Wray LA, Halter JB,
- Williams BC, Supiano MA. Relating medical students' knowledge, attitudes, and experience to an interest in geriatric medicine. The Gerontologist 43(6):849-855, 2003.
- Supiano MA, Fitzgerald JT, Hall KE, Halter JB: A vertically-integrated geriatric curriculum improves medical student knowledge and clinical skills. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 55:1650-1655, 2007.
- Fitzgerald JT, Stansfield RB, Tang TS, Oh MF, Frohna AZ, Armbruster BA, Gruppen JD, Anderson RM: Patient and provider perceptions of diabetes: Measuring and evaluating differences. Patient Education and Counseling 70:118-125, 2008. (PMCID: PMC2223066, NIHMSID: NIHMS37915)