Keith E. Kocher, MD MPH, is a practicing emergency physician and health services researcher at the University of Michigan who studies the delivery and performance of emergency and acute care. In addition to other extramurally funded projects, he is the Director of the Michigan Emergency Department Improvement Collaborative (MEDIC), a unique statewide learning collaborative sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network dedicated to improving the quality of emergency care. He lives in Ann Arbor with his wife and two sons.
Areas of Interest
Research and scholarly interests: improving care delivery, implementing practice change, measuring value
Subject matter expertise: emergency and acute care delivery, quality improvement, performance measurement
Other professional highlights: Director of the Michigan Emergency Department Improvement Collaborative (MEDIC, http://www.medicqi.org)
- Kocher KE, Arora R, Bassin BS, Benjamin LS, Bolton M, Dennis BJ, Ham JJ, Krupp SS, Levasseur KA, Macy ML, O'Neil BJ, Pribble JM, Sherwin RL, Sroufe NS, Uren BJ, Nypaver MM. Baseline performance of real world clinical practice within a statewide emergency medicine quality network: the Michigan Emergency Department Improvement Collaborative (MEDIC). Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2019 (in press)
- Greenwood-Ericksen MB, Kocher K. Trends in emergency department utilization by rural and urban populations in the United States. JAMA Network Open, 2019; 2(4):e3191919. PMID: 30977849.
- Kocher KE, Ayanian, JZ. Flipping the script: a patient-centered approach to fixing acute care. New England Journal of Medicine, 2016;375(10):915-917. PMID: 27602664.
- Kocher KE, Haggins AN, Sabbatini AK, Sauser K, Sharp AL. Emergency department hospitalization volume and mortality in the United States. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2014; 64(5):446-460. PMID: 25041705.
- Sabbatini AK, Nallamothu BK, Kocher KE. Reducing variation in hospital admissions from the emergency department for low-mortality conditions may produce savings. Health Affairs, 2014; 33(9):1655-1663. PMID: 25201672.
- Kocher KE, Nallamothu BK, Birkmeyer JD, Dimick JB. Emergency department visits after surgery are common for Medicare patients, suggesting opportunities to improve care. Health Affairs, 2013; 32(9):1600-1607. PMID: 24019365.