The Department of Microbiology and Immunology was founded in 1902 as the Department of Bacteriology under the chairmanship of Dr. Frederick G. Novy, who studied with Dr. Robert Koch, one of the leading bacteriologists of his time. Founding of the Hygiene Laboratory marks the inception of this department in l887. Establishment of microbiology as a subject dates even earlier to a course given in 1881 by Dr. V.C. Vaughan on ferments and germs, entitled "Sanitary Science." In 1963, the department's name was changed to Department of Microbiology, and in 1979 the current name was adopted in recognition of the newly established section in immunology. As one of the earliest departments of its kind in the nation, the Department of Microbiology and Immunology has evolved from more than a century of pioneering excellence.
Modern developments in molecular biology were followed by rapid expansion in this area during the l970's under the leadership of Dr. Frederick C. Neidhardt. With Dr. Harry Mobley as the chair, laboratories in our department conduct research in many diverse and exciting fields of molecular and cellular biology.
Research interests of investigators include: gene regulation in prokaryotes and eukaryotes; molecular biology of animal and bacterial viruses; molecular basis of microbial pathogenesis integrated behavior of complex molecular and cellular networks; as well as structure, function, and molecular genetics of immunoglobulins, T-cell receptors and cell surface antigens. This interdisciplinary approach adds a dynamic dimension to the Department's already outstanding tradition in microbiology and immunology.
The Department of Microbiology & Immunology is the eleventh site in the United States to be named a historical site by the American Society for Microbiology. Learn more about our Milestones in Microbiology celebration.
Please note: This is a large file which may take a few moments/minutes to open.