The overall objective of the Nutrition, Exercise and Phenotype Testing (NExT) Core (formerly the Human Phenotyping Core) is to enhance and expand the research capabilities of investigators performing clinical and translational studies related to nutritional interventions, obesity, or obesity-related disorders in humans. NExT is a service core of the Michigan Nutrition and Obesity Research Center (MNORC), however services are available to all university researchers.
NExT services are provided in three categories:
- Metabolic Phenotyping services (e.g., body composition, resting metabolic rate, insulin sensitivity)
- Bionutrition support through the Nutrition Assessment Laboratory (NAL)
- Physical activity/exercise assessments, testing, and exercise intervention support through the Physical Activity Laboratory (PAL).
Our services include:
- Consultation services to university investigators regarding appropriate testing/assessment, and/or intervention approaches for their studies.
- Standardized and sophisticated nutritional assessments and physiological testing of human subjects for obesity related studies.
- Services to directly assist researchers in conducting dietary, behavioral, and/or exercise intervention in human subjects.
- Training in many techniques or the assistance in development of new techniques/technologies needed for the metabolic and neurobehavioral assessment of humans.
Metabolic Phenotyping services are provided at both NAL and PAL locations (i.e., both MCRU and Dominos Farms – Lobby M). The site where the service will be provided will depend on the specific service being requested (e.g., DEXA, Bod Pod, clamp procedures, tissue-specific analysis). The specific site for services you are interested will be clarified when you speak with NExT staff about your study’s needs.
Our DXA is located within MCRU on Level 1 of the CVC, the BOD POD is located in Lobby M of Domino’s Farms, and the PEA POD is located near the NICU in Mott. Unsure which method is best for your study and/or want additional information? Contact us and we’ll help!
Located in the Michigan Clinical Research Unit (MCRU) on Level 1 of the Cardiovascular Center (CVC) of UMHS, this facility includes a full metabolic kitchen, and NAL staff offices. Current services include dietary assessment design and execution, nutrition counseling, and menu/meal development. These services are provided jointly by The Momentum Center.
The primary location of the PAL is in Lobby M of Dominos Farms (Room 2121). This facility includes an exercise/metabolic testing room and an anthropometric assessment room (including Bod Pod). Current services include a variety of exercise tests, physical activity assessment design and execution, and support for supervised exercise interventions. There is also an exercise physiology testing room available within the MCRU on Level 1 of the CVC.