Opportunities for students in the MIP PhD program:
- Broad-based training in modern physiology with emphasis on integrating cell and molecular processes to understand systems physiology.
- Opportunity to conduct research in a wide variety of areas ranging from cell and molecular biology to whole-animal integrative physiology.
- Opportunity to learn state of the art experimental, mathematical and computational techniques to pursue physiological research
- Development of teaching skills as part of the curriculum.
- Training in critical thinking and presentation skills.
- A faculty and program dedicated to a tradition of excellence in preparing young investigators for diverse and productive careers.
- Role in administration and policy setting within the department and PhD program.
- Leadership training: graduate student representative to faculty meetings, student member of the Graduate Committee, select and host keynote speaker of Research Forum, host visits of graduate student recruit.
- An active community science outreach program to underserved schools.
- Interaction with visiting scientists and seminar speakers at student luncheons.
- Recognition by departmental, university and national awards.
- A wide variety of informal social activities involving students and faculty
More information about the MIP PhD program can be found in our handbook.