- The epidemiology of sleep apnea in a bi-ethnic stroke population (R01 HL098065)
- Sleep Apnea Health Disparities in Mexican American Stroke Patients (R01 NS070941)
- Nocturnal rostral fluid shifts in stroke patients with sleep apnea (R01HL123379)
- Sleep apnea after stroke: Implications for screening and treatment (R01HL126700)
- Identifying sleep targets to improve stroke outcomes (R01HL152741)
- Towards personalized medicine: pathophysiologic contributions to post-stroke sleep apnea (R01HL164755)
The University of Michigan Stroke Program investigates multiple aspects of post-stroke sleep and sleep apnea among patients in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- An NHLBI-funded ancillary study assessed the frequency of sleep-disordered breathing after stroke, and the relationship of this sleep disorder to stroke outcomes
- An NINDS-funded sleep apnea study investigate health disparities related to sleep apnea in stroke patients
- An NHLBI-funded ancillary study investigated the association between nocturnal rostral fluid shifts and sleep apnea severity
- An NINDS-funded longitudinal, population-based study of sleep apnea and stroke outcomes was performed to improve the identification and management of important sleep apnea after stroke, provide critical data to plan future clinical trials, and explore a potential target to reduce an important ethnic health disparity
- An NHLBI-funded ancillary study investigates, using full portable PSG, the association between sleep and recovery after stroke
- Finally, an NHLBI-funded longitudinal study that enrolls stroke cases and a stroke-free comparison group investigates the pathophysiologic mechanism (endotypes) underlying obstructive sleep apnea
Sleep Study Staff
- Ronald Chervin, M.D., M.S.
- Lewis Morgenstern, M.D.
- Brisa N. Sánchez, Ph.D.
- Sehee Kim, Ph.D.
- Xu Shi, Ph.D.
- Yan Sun, Ph.D., Emory University
- Joseph Burns, Ph.D., Michigan Technological University
- Scott Sands, Ph.D. Brigham and Women's Hospital
CORPUS CHRISTI NEUROLOGISTS:
- Morgan Campbell, M.D.
- Erin Case, B.A.
- Melinda Cox, Dr P.H.
- T. Douglas Bradley, M.D., University of Toronto
- Virend Somers, M.D., Ph.D., Mayo Clinic
- Azadeh Yadollahi, Ph.D., University of Toronto
- Lisabeth LD, Zhang G, Chervin RD, Shi X, Morgenstern LB, Campbell M, Tower S, Brown DL. Longitudinal assessment of sleep apnea in the year after stroke in a population-based study. Stroke 2023; 54: 2356-2365. PMID: 37485665
- Schütz SG, Lisabeth LD, Kwicklis M, Case E, Chervin RD, Brown DL. Positive airway pressure treatment for sleep-disordered breathing is rare during the first year after stroke: The BASIC project. Sleep Medicine. 2023; 107:26-30. PMID: 37099917
- Schütz SG, Lisabeth L, Gibbs R, Shi X, Chervin RD, Kwicklis M, Case E, Brown DL. 10-year trends in Sleep-Disordered Breathing after Ischemic Stroke: 2010-2019 data from the BASIC project. JAHA 2022; 11(4): e024169. PMID: 35156416 PMCID: PMC9245813
- Springer MV, Lisabeth LD, Gibbs R, Shi X, Case E, Chervin RD, Dong L, Brown DL: Racial and ethnic differences in sleep-disordered breathing and sleep duration among stroke patients. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2022; 31: 106822. PMID: 36244278P
- Horvat M, Lisabeth LD, Lim J, He K, Dasgupta R, Case E, Chervin RD, Brown DL. Ethnic Differences exist in Sleepiness 3 Months After Ischemic Stroke. Sleep Med 2022; 100: 219-224. PMID: 36115141
- Brown DL, Yadollahi A, He K, Xu Y, Piper P, Case E, Chervin RD, Lisabeth LD. Overnight rostral fluid shifts exacerbate obstructive sleep apnea after stroke. Stroke. 2021; 52:3176-3183. PMID: 34266303 PMCID: PMC8478825
- Schütz SG, Lisabeth, LD, Gibbs R, Shi X, Case E, Chervin RD, Brown DL. Wake-Up Stroke is not associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Sleep Med 2021; 81: 158-162. PMID: 33684605 PMCID: PMC8563108
- Brown DL, He K, Kim S, Hsu CW, Case E, Chervin RD, Lisabeth LD. Prediction of sleep-disordered breathing after stroke. Sleep Med 2020; 75: 1-6. PMID: 32835899
- Schütz SG, Lisabeth LD, Hsu CW, Kim S, Chervin RD, Brown DL. Central sleep apnea is uncommon after stroke. Sleep Med: 2020. PMID: 32948418
- Schütz SG, Lisabeth LD, Shafie-Khorassani F, Case E, Sanchez BN, Chervin RD, Brown DL. Clinical phenotypes of obstructive sleep apnea after ischemic stroke: a cluster analysis. Sleep Med 2019; 60: 178-181. PMID: 31186211
- Lisabeth LD, Sánchez BN, Lim D, Chervin RD, Case E, Morgenstern LB, Tower S, Brown DL. Sleep-disordered breathing and poststroke outcomes. Ann Neurol 2019; 86: 241-250. PMID: 31155749
- Brown DL, Shafie-Khorassani F, Kim S, Chervin RD, Case E, Yadollahi A, Lisabeth LD. Do apneas and hypopneas best reflect risk for poor outcomes after stroke? Sleep Med 2019; 63: 14-17 PMID: 31600656
- Brown DL, Shafie-Khorassani F, Kim S, Chervin RD, Case E, Morgenstern LB, Yadollahi A, Tower S, Lisabeth LD. Sleep-disordered breathing is associated with recurrent ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2019 Mar;50(3):571-576. PMID: 30744545
- Brown DL, Jiang X, Li C, Case E, Sozener CB, Chervin RD, Lisabeth LD. Sleep apnea screening is uncommon after stroke. Sleep Med. 2018 Sep 27. PMID: 30482619
- Lisabeth LD, Scheer RV, Li C, Case E, Chervin RD, Zahuranec DB, Morgenstern LB, Garcia NM, Tower S, Brown DL. Intracerebral hemorrhage and sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep Med 2018; 46:114-116. PMID: 29773204
- Brown DL, Li C, Sánchez BN, Dunietz GL, Chervin RD, Case E, Garcia NM, Lisabeth LD. Lack of worsening of sleep-disordered breathing after recurrent stroke. J Clin Sleep Med 2018, 2018 May 15;14(5):835-839. PMID: 29734992
- Brown DL, Li C, Chervin RD, Case E, Garcia NM, Tower SD, Lisabeth, LD. Wake-up stroke is not associated with sleep-disordered breathing in women. Neurology Clinical Practice 2018;8(1):8-14. PMID:29517077
- McDermott M, Brown DL, Li C, Garcia NM, Case E, Chervin RD, Morgenstern LB, Lisabeth LD. Sex differences in sleep-disordered breathing after stroke: results from the BASIC project. Sleep Med 2018; 43:54-59. PMID:29482813
- Lisabeth LD, Sánchez BN, Chervin RD, Morgenstern LB, Zahuranec DB, Tower SD, Brown DL. High Prevalence of Post-Stroke Sleep Disordered Breathing in Mexican Americans. Sleep Med, 2017; 33: 97-102. PMID:28449915
- Brown DL, Lisabeth LD, Zupancic MJ, Concannon M, Martin C, Chervin RD. High prevalence of supine sleep in ischemic stroke patients. Stroke, 2008 Sep;39(9):2511-4. Epub 2008 Jul 10. PMID: 18617656
- Brown DL, Mowla A, McDermott M, Morgenstern LB, Hegeman G 3rd, Smith MA, Garcia NM, Chervin RD, Lisabeth LD. Ischemic Stroke Subtype and Presence of Sleep-Disordered Breathing: The BASIC Sleep Apnea Study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2015; 24: 388-393. PMID: 25497720
- De Lott LB, Lisabeth LD, Sánchez BN, Morgenstern LB, Smith MA, Garcia NM, Chervin RD, Brown DL. Prevalence of pre-stroke sleep apnea risk and short or long sleep duration in a bi-ethnic stroke population. Sleep Med 2014; 15: 1582-1585. PMID: 25454982
- Brown DL, McDermott M, Mowla A, De Lott L, Morgenstern LB, Kerber KA, Hegeman G 3rd, Smith MA, Garcia NM, Chervin RD, Lisabeth LD. Brainstem infarction and sleep-disordered breathing in the BASIC sleep apnea study. Sleep Med 2014; 15: 887-91. PMID: 24916097
- Brown DL, Chervin RD, Hegeman G 3rd, Smith MA, Garcia NM, Morgenstern LB, Lisabeth LD. Is technologist review of raw data necessary after home studies for sleep apnea? J Clin Sleep Med 2014; 10:371-375. PMID: 24733981
- Reeves SL, Brown DL, Chervin RD, Morgenstern LB, Smith MA, Lisabeth LD. Agreement between stroke patients and family members for ascertaining pre-stroke risk for sleep apnea. Sleep Med 2014; 15:121-124.N PMID: 24238964
- Kerber KA, Brown DL, Skolarus LE, Morgenstern LB, Smith MA, Garcia NM, Lisabeth LD. Validation of the 12-Item Stroke-Specific Quality of Life Scale in a Bi-ethnic Stroke Population. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis2013; 22: 1270-1272. PMID: 22995379