Areas of Interest
Dr. Xi's research interests are mechanisms of brain injury after hemorrhagic stroke and preconditioning-induced neuroprotection. His work has demonstrated that iron contributes to brain edema formation and neurodegeneration following intracerebral hemorrhage and has resulted in a deferoxamine clinical trial for intracerebral hemorrhage.
- 2012-2019 Mechanisms of brain injury after intraventricular hemorrhage; Sponsor: NIH
- 2012-2018 Mechanisms of early brain injury after subarachnoid hemorrhage; Sponsor: NIH
- 2012-2018 Futility study of deferoxamine mesylate in intracerebral hemorrhage (iDEF); Sponsor: NIH
- 2015-2019 Lipocalin-2 and intracerebral hemorrhage-induced brain injury; Sponsor: NIH
- 2015-2020 Iron, minocycline, and brain injury after intracerebral hemorrhage; Sponsor: NIH
- 2016-2021 Targeting CD47 to aid in clearing intracerebral hemorrhage; Sponsor: NIH
- 2017-2019 Brain iron quantification based on MRI in intracerebral hemorrhage; Sponsor: NIH
- 2018-2023 Early hemolysis and hemoglobin toxicity in intracerebral hemorrhage; Sponsor: NIH
Spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH)
- Xi G, Wagner KR, Keep RF, Hua Y, de-Courten Myers GM, Broderick JP, Brott TG, and Hoff JT. The role of blood clot formation on early edema development following experimental intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 1998; 29:2580-2586.
- Xi G, Hua Y, Keep RF, Younger JG, Hoff JT. Systemic complement depletion diminishes perihematomal brain edema. Stroke 2001; 32:162-167.
- Cao S, Zheng M, Hua Y, Chen G, Keep RF, Xi G. Hematoma changes during clot resolution after experimental intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 2016;47:1626-31. PMCID: PMC5237112
- Wilkinson DA, Keep RF, Hua Y, Xi G. Hematoma clearance as a therapeutic target in intracerebral hemorrhage: from macro to micro. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2018; 38:741-745. PMCID: PMC5888862
Translational stroke research
- Okauchi M, Hua Y, Keep RF, Morgenstern LB, Xi G. Effects of deferoxamine on intracerebral hemorrhage-induced brain injury in aged rats. Stroke 2009; 40:1858-1863. PMCID: PMC2674519
- Okauchi M, Hua Y, Keep RF, Morgenstern LB, Schallert T, Xi G. Deferoxamine treatment for intracerebral hemorrhage in aged rats: therapeutic time window and optimal duration. Stroke 2010; 41:375-382. PMCID: PMC2896218
- Xie Q, Gu Y, Hua Y, Liu W, Keep RF, Xi G. Deferoxamine attenuates white matter injury in a piglet intracerebral hemorrhage model. Stroke 2014; 45:290-292. PMCID: PMC3886635
The role of thrombin
- Xi G, Reiser G, Keep RF. The role of thrombin and thrombin receptors in ischemic, hemorrhagic and traumatic brain injury: deleterious or protective? J Neurochem 2003; 84:3-9.
- Wang J, Hang J, Hua Y, Keep RF, Xi G. Role of protease-activated receptor-1 in brain injury after experimental global cerebral ischemia. Stroke 2012; 43:2476-2482. PMCID: PMC3429659
Intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH)
- Chen Z, Gao C, Hua Y, Keep RF, Muraszko KM, Xi G. The role of iron in brain injury after intraventricular hemorrhage. Stroke 2011; 42:465-470. PMCID: PMC3078056
- Gao F, Liu F, Chen Z, Hua Y, Keep RF, Xi G. Hydrocephalus after intraventricular hemorrhage: the role of thrombin. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2014; 34:489-494. PMCID: PMC3948129