Obstetrics and Gynecology M3 Clerkship Intended Learning Outcomes
1. You should plan to complete all of the ILOs. Even if you do not participate in every subspecialties listed, you are still responsible for completing the associated ILOs.
2. If you do not encounter a patient, participate in a didactic session or a simulation corresponding to a particular ILO, please go to APGO.org, click on “Objectives.” read the associated outline/sample case and answer the questions.
4. This is not a substitute for completing your CLTP. You must also complete your CLTP as you go.
Gynecology (Outpatient Clinic)
1. Develop competence in the medical interview and physical examination of women and will incorporate ethical, social and diversity perspectives to provide culturally competent health care.
□ Perform clinical breast exam
□ Conduct, record and present GYN patient H & P
2. Apply recommended prevention strategies to women throughout the lifespan.
3. Recognize your role as a leader and advocate for women. (one of following)
4. Describe menstrual cycle physiology, discuss puberty and menopause, and explain normal and abnormal bleeding.
□ Abnormal uterine bleeding
5. Develop a thorough understanding of contraception, including abortion and sterilization.
6. Provide a preliminary assessment of patients with sexual concerns.
7. Demonstrate knowledge of common benign gynecological conditions.
8. Formulate a differential diagnosis of the acute abdomen and chronic pelvic pain.
□ Ectopic pregnancy
9. Describe the etiology and evaluation of infertility
10. Describe common breast conditions and outline the evaluation of breast complaints.
□ Breast mass
□ Nipple discharge
11. Pelvic Organ Prolapse-
□ Identify symptoms
□ Identify risk factors
□ Identify surgical and non-surgical treatment options for prolapse
12. Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms
□ Define types of urinary incontinence: stress, urge, mixed, overflow, functional, continuous
□ Explain primary evaluation for urinary incontinence: urinalysis, post void residual, voiding diary, stress test
□ Identify treatments for Incontinence: physical therapy, behavioral, medications, pessary, surgery
□ UTI management- antibiotic choice, prophylaxis
13. Describe gynecologic malignancies including risk factors, signs and symptoms and initial evaluation.
□ Postmenopausal bleeding
□ Adnexal mass/cyst
1. Gynecology Perioperative Care-
□ Insert Foley catheter
□ Demonstrate ability to write the following notes-
ii. GYN operative note
iii. GYN postoperative note
iv. GYN postoperative progress note
2. Demonstrate familiarity with gynecologic procedures.
□ Observe laparoscopy
□ Observe other gynecology procedure (enter below)
1. Demonstrate knowledge of preconception care including the impact of genetics, medical conditions and environmental factors on maternal health and fetal development.
□ 1st trimester care
□ Prenatal diagnosis
2. Explain the normal physiologic changes of pregnancy including interpretation of common diagnostic studies.
□ Routine prenatal care follow-up visit
□ Conduct, record and present OB patient history
3. Describe common problems in obstetrics.
□ 3rd trimester bleeding
□ Peripartum infection
□ 1st trimester bleeding
4. Demonstrate knowledge of intrapartum care.
□ Clinical course of labor
□ Premature rupture of membranes (PROM)
□ Preterm labor (PTL)
□ Normal Spontaneous Vaginal Birth (NSVD), participate/observe
□ Observe perineal laceration repair
□ Write delivery note
5. Demonstrate knowledge of postpartum care of the mother and newborn.
□ Current breastfeeding recommendations regarding indications/contraindications
□ Postpartum hemorrhage
□ Write postpartum note
□ Present postpartum patient