This event will focus on the experience of patients who identify as LGBTQ+, including provider and patient perspectives on both care and experience. Topics will include:
- Overview of concepts and appropriate terminology to understand when working with people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer including difference between sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and biological sex
- Health disparities within the LGBT community including health factors affecting each group of the community
- Healthcare provider perspectives on improving the healthcare experience for people who identify as transgender, and perspectives on translating those to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and queer patients
- Michigan Medicine patient perspectives on their experiences in the healthcare setting
- Recommendations for creating and fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all patients and families
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS AVAILABLE: SOCIAL WORK & NURSING
University of MI Health System Professional Development & Education is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91). 1.5 nursing contact hours will be provided.
Michigan Medicine Department of Social Work is an approved provider with the Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative, Provider #MICEC 0056. This program has been approved for a maximum of 1.5 continuing education clock hours.
To see a full recording of this event, click here.