Katie Carew: 734-763-3732
Dr. Sean Hansen completed his undergraduate studies in Biology at Brigham Young University and graduated magna cum laude. He obtained his medical degree from the Medical College of Wisconsin and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. After medical school, Dr. Hansen completed an internship at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan, before completing his Ophthalmology residency at the University of Michigan, Kellogg Eye Center.
After residency, Dr. Hansen joined private practice in Las Vegas, Nevada, gaining further experience in cataract surgery, including premium lens implantation and laser-assisted cataract surgery. In 2021, Dr. Hansen returned to the Kellogg Eye Center as a Clinical Assistant Professor. He is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology with clinical interests in comprehensive eye care including the medical and surgical treatment of eye diseases, including cataracts, glaucoma, and diabetic eye disease. Dr. Hansen offers the latest technology, including laser-assisted cataract surgery with advanced intraocular lens implants including multifocal, extended depth of focus, and toric. Dr. Hansen also offers glaucoma care and performs minimally invasive glaucoma surgery with the iStent trabecular micro-bypass stent.
Dr. Hansen is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Outside of work, Dr. Hansen loves spending time with his wife and two sons. He also enjoys exploring the outdoors and playing sports.
Comprehensive ophthalmology, including cataract surgery, glaucoma management, macular degeneration and diabetic eye disease. Certified with iStent trabecular micro-bypass stent, Certified on CATALYS and LENSAR femtosecond laser platforms, Experienced with premium IOL implantation
Make an Appointment
- Medical School or Training - Medical College of Wisconsin, 2014
- Residency - University of Michigan, Ophthalmology, 2018
- Board Certifications - Ophthalmology
- Hansen SO, Cooper RF, Dubra A, Carroll J, Weinberg DV. Selective cone photoreceptor injury in acute macular neuroretinopathy. Retina 33(8): 1650-8, 2013. PM23615345/PMC4065781
- Hansen S, Batson S, Weinlander KM, Cooper RF, Scoles DH, Karth PA, Weinberg DV, Dubra A, Kim JE, Carroll J, Wirostko WJ. Assessing photoreceptor structure after macular hole closure. Retin Cases Brief Rep 9(1): 15-20, 2015. PM25525907/PMC4554764
- Valikodath NG, Leveque TK, Wang SY, Lee PP, Newman-Casey PA, Hansen SO, Woodward MA. Patient Attitudes Toward Telemedicine for Diabetic Retinopathy. Telemed J E Health 23(3): 205-212, 2017. PM27336678/PMC5359684
- Kiang L, Ross BX, Yao J, Shanmugam S, Andrews CA, Hansen S, Besirli CG, Zacks DN, Abcouwer SF. Vitreous Cytokine Expression and a Murine Model Suggest a Key Role of Microglia in the Inflammatory Response to Retinal Detachment. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 59(8): 3767-3778, 2018. PM30046818/PMC6059764
- Jeganathan VSE, Valikodath N, Niziol LM, Hansen S, Apostolou H, Woodward MA. Accuracy of a smartphone-based autorefractor compared with criterion-standard refraction. Optom Vis Sci. 2018 Dec;95(12):1135-1141. PM30451804/PMC6475906.
- Wu AM, Morse AR, Seiple WH, Talwar N, Hansen SO, Lee PP, Stein JD. Reduced Mammography Screening for Breast Cancer among Women with Visual Impairment. Ophthalmology. 2021 Feb;128(2):317-323. PMID: 32682837.
- Hansen S, Shekhawat N, Mian S: Review of "Comparison of ocular wavefront aberrations in subluxated lenses before and after lens extraction with intraocular lens implantation" EyeWorld March 2018: https://www.eyeworld.org/review-comparison-ocular-wavefrontaberrations-subluxat, 2018.
- Hansen S, Mian S. Chemical burns: acute and long-term treatment of corneal complications, University of Michigan, Kellogg Eye Center Grand Rounds. Broadcast email from [email protected]. Sent August 1, 2017.