Tumor - abnormal growth of tissue that forms when cells divide uncontrollably. May weaken bone and cause a break or fracture.
Primary Bone Cancer - cancer that begins in the bone:
- Multiple myeloma- malignant tumor of bone marrow, most common primary bone cancer
- Osteosarcoma- malignant tumor of bone. Most cases occur in teenagers, can occur at any age. Common locations are in the knee, hip, and shoulder
- Ewings Sarcoma- malignant tumor of bone; most common locations upper and lower leg, pelvis, upper arm, and ribs. Most common age between 5 and 20 yrs, can occur at any age.
- Chondrosarcoma- most common in hip, pelvis, shoulder, most common age 40-70
Benign bone tumors - many types, some of the most common
- Non ossiffying fibroma
- Unicameral bone cyst
- Osteochondroma (exostosis)
- Giant cell tumor
- Fibrous dysplasia